Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-14-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I need to grow alot of pods.

Ok, so I currently have about 50 lbs of LR. My goal is to have a Manderin. I know I know, they need x amount of LR to survive. Right now I have turned my Hagen AquaClear 500 into a HOB mini fuge. It has about 7 lbs of LR rubble in it. Now, I'm guessing I will probably have to setup a refugium, probably a 20 gal filled with 30 lbs of LR. I have hundreds and hundreds of amphipods all over my LR right now and hundreds and hundreds of copepods on my glass, powerheads, etc.

First off, I'm 19, I go to a JC, live at home, and work part time. So I don't have tons and tons of money to blow on this stuff.

My final fish setup will be a pair of true perc clowns, shrimp goby, and a green or spotted manderin.

What do I have to do in order for this to work and make my manderin as happy as can be.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a mandarin in a 20 gallon. Before people crawl all over me I culture pods for him and the tank ussually has 100-200 amphipods and god knows how many copepods in it at any given time. First you have to culture phytoplankton and then you get a pod culture or just take a bunch of pods from your main tank and put it in a seperate ten gallon with a SG of about 1.014. Feed the pods the phytoplankton and strain out the adults with a 2 micron screen(mosquito screen) when you are ready to feed the main tank. I feed the main tank every week and my mandarin has really fleshed out since I got him. Don't be afraid to remove pods from your culture I feed alot at a time and the culture bounces right back. This works and isn't too time consuming plus the phyto plankton can feed your corals. Refugiums help too I have a ten gallon attached to the system and it is crawling with pods.

Scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
if you have or can get a canister filter fill it with chunks of live rock and never clean it, out they breed like crazy in thier.
i have crabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com