I need to know everything about saltwater right away.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, while you're at the fish store, pick up a few empty shells for the hermits and toss them in the tank. Get them a little bigger than what they are currently in so that they have something to move into when the grow. They'll change shells when they outgrow theirs.

So, one person says feed it once a week if I want to, one says three times. I don't want to start a fight, but why the difference in opinions?

Sounds like you have a power compact light fixture. You'll either want to take a bulb with you or look at the pins on the end to make sure they match up with the new ones. You may find it easier and even cheaper to order replacements online. Not a lot of shops carry PC bulbs in some places. You could always call the shops before you drive out there just to check. Some people find it cheaper to order a new low price T5 light fixture with bulbs included than to replace PC tubes.

fredholstien said:
So, one person says feed it once a week if I want to, one says three times. I don't want to start a fight, but why the difference in opinions?

Cuz different people feed theirs different amounts. Lol. Some people only feed their fish every 3-4 days too, but i feed mine every day. You can start with once or twice a week, see how it does and increase to 3 x week if you think you need to. Your clowns might feed it too, so you might not need to supplement feedings much. If you want it to grow a lot and maybe split, then extra feedings will help that.

I think pictures of your setup is important. It would help us all identify what you have in the tank and sump. There are many types of anemones as well as different equipment.

Some people haven't fed nems in 10 years and they're thriving. It really just depends if you want to see it eat.

Anemones do produce most of their nutrition by photosynthesis. In my opinion however in captivity I never trusted that simply because you are relying on unnatural light not to mention that while you may have what is considered the perfect tank for anemones it's still not their natural environment. I asked one of my friends once if I really needed to feed them and he told me that God gave them a mouth for a reason...sounds stupid but he had 3 reef tanks so who was I to question it! It made great sense! LOL!

crister13 said:
Some people haven't fed nems in 10 years and they're thriving. It really just depends if you want to see it eat.

That's true. Many people have great success without ever feeding them. Most of those people house them in large tanks with lots if fish and the nem gets some food from bits that float into them. Other people have clowns that will feed them. Still others have masses of light which helps them out.

If they're in a small tank without very intense light feeding them directly, even if it's only occasionally, may not be a bad idea. They can be difficult to keep anyway. I generally believe that underfeeding would is better than overfeeding. I'm no authority though. -_-

What bulbs should I order

Okay I went to order bulbs for my fixture because it is cheaper than a new fixture if I don't have to duplicate the bulbs that are in there. Thanks for the online idea, that makes alot more sense than going to Boise as long as the aquarium will be fine for now.
Now I am wondering what kind of bulbs I want. I had a dual daylight and a dual actinic, which are both astronomically priced. I can get a 6,700k or 10,000k daylight bulb to replace the dual one I guess. The 10k is cheaper.
Also a 12k actinic is cheaper than a 10k.
96w are cheaper than 65w and so on. The bigger the cheaper it seems. Is bigger better? Or is it different light?

It takes a different light fixture to run the higher watt lamp. Any bulb combination will be fine as long as you have some mix of daylight and actinic.

Usually 50/50 actinic daylight is used. I have t recommend d-d giesmann bulbs. I have 4 aqua blue special (11000k) and 4 actinic plus. They're amazing.

Update

Okay so I have lights on the way.
My Ph is 8.0, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, selenity is 1.026, temperature 80 degrees, nitrates are at 30 to 40.
The small anemone died practically overnight, it seemed. The other looked stressed and like it was going to die too. It had fallen off of its rock and floated to the bottom. I set it back up on a rock closer to the light. Then I did a 20% water change and got some nitrate neutralizer stuff and treated the water and the anemone looks like it is doing alot better, but it lost alot of its tentacles length.
And now I can't find my snail.​

Back
Top Bottom