I own 2 tropical tanks. At the moment. Both relatively small in comparison to most. A 5 gal
and a 15 gal
. I've had no problems setting up these up as I had a 10gal in my teen years. I haven't lost a fish yet and all are healthy.
Now my girlfriend has been asking about "the fish with colour" I explained to her that these were marine fish and we couldn't keep those because I didn't know how.
I'm going to be asking a lot of questions about saltwater tanks in general now just to get a basic idea. Then I will expand on the answers by more thorough research. You can use short sentences or expand if you want to but some of these questions will be very "dummies guide to" style. I appreciate all answers and you can tell me to 'go google' if I'm getting on your nerves. Here goes.
1) what size tank would be a good beginners tank?
2) what extra equipment do I need for a saltwater aquarium?
3) what temp is best to suit most fish?
4) what extra parameters do I need to test for?
5) where do I add salt? Where do I get salt from? Is it a special salt? How often does salt need adding?
6) are the filters the same as tropical?
7) what is meant by 'live rock, sand and coral'?
8) what fish would you recommend for a saltwater beginner?
9) how does maintenance differ?
10) what kind if lighting do I need if I have live rock, sand and coral?
11) do I have to have live rock, sand and coral.
12) what care needs to be given to coral?
I guess that's all I can't think of for now.