I put a 25% ammonium hydroxide in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verax2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good day!

So I put a 25% ammonium hydroxide to my tank. Apparently, I have a high reading of ammonia. Should I do a water change?

Why did you put ammonia in your tank? to cycle it? 25% ammonia hydroxide means 75% water, 25% ammonia (if I'm not mistaken). before we can answer whether you should do a water change, you will have to tell us what you're plans are and what the ammonia reading is.

+1. Are you cycling this tank? What is the substrate?
Do you have any rock in the tank?

Please describe the tank in full and tell us your plans.

I want to cycle my tank. I have gravels and few decorations inside my tank. I do not have an exact reading but the color (through my API test kits) turns out to be dark green like the color of a moss.

Sorry for the incomplete information

If it's reading 8 on the API, you'll want to do a 50% water change to get it down to 4. With a reading that high, the ammonia will actually kill the bacteria that eats it and your cycle will take a very long time to complete. When cycling, a reading of 1-4ppm is all you need, that gives the bacteria food and doesn't hinder their reproduction.

When I cycled my tank with uncured LR my ammonia got that high (not to mention the smell). My cycle took a somewhat normal 4 week period and I was totally amazed at what lived through it (pods, mini-stars, dusters, sponges, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom