Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
no. a porcelain crab is just a porcelain crab. you are thinking of an anemone crab, which is different.
according to this, it says they are easy and readily eat prepared foods (i always thought they only ate parasites, and starved in the home system, but then again, i've never kept one)-
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Neon Blue Goby - Tank-Bred

the overflow is only as good as the weakest link, which in this case is the design and bulkhead at the bottom. the bulkhead on the model you are considering is only 1". it's not going to handle so much. i would use it for what it's rated for and that will be fine for your system. why do you think you need more than that?

are you wanting to purchase everything from fosters and smith? is that why you are wanting the eshoppes?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

All right, so the crab and anenome are seperate. And the goby seems easy enough with the added benefit of parasite control if need arises.
I would prefer to get everything at fosters and smith for 3 reasons. 1the closest large scale store is 3 hours away. 2 I know they are a legitimate online buisness. And 3 I want to save some on shipping and not have boxes flying in for an extended period of time by getting all the hardware at once from one place.
Back the the overflow, the next model up is rated for about 800 gph and uses the same bulkhead. The only dicernable differrencce is their dimensions. I could just move up to that model. I suppose that I could also use a lower flow rate, I honestly have no idea what would work best for the flow rate.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

there are a few well known online stores i would suggest buying from. the sponsors here are some of them.
you could get away with using a 300 gph overflow box if you wanted. you don't need much more than that. i once used a quiet one 4000 (1017 gph) on a 150 gallon tank, with a few feet of head. so i was getting probably 800-900gph. it was fine and everything did very well.
you are dealing with half that.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

All right, I have to use a different site for the skimmer any way, so I may as well do the same for some other things when it is advantageous.
Hmm, I will just move the pump down to the quiet one 2200. (was going to use a 3000 before)
Now that I think about it, why would I need a huge amount of gph, 300 is quite a bit for the water volume, turning it over almost 6 time each hour.
All right, I will just focus then on positioning the power heads so that the water is circulated as much as possible.
The reason I was concerned for the feather duster was I read this (quite amusing actualy):Pincushion urchin taking my Feather Duster on a rollercoaster ride
This was the top I was going to use: Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Versa-Tops but I'm not sure it is wide enough (for the light you recommended that is)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would suggest going without a glass top. it's better for gas exchange, and light will penetrate better.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Huh, it says it is a glass top.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol..right. and i suggest you do not purchase it. you don't need it and your tank will most likely be healthier without it. all of the reef tanks i have kept have been open topped.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

While I do agree with you in that the open top would be better, are you sure that's safe with the light fixture you suggested? In fact in the more information tab it says, ". . .NOT DESIGNED for open top tanks."
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

a nova extreme pro? yep. it's got a protective shield. no worries.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmm, all right. On the topic of lighting, how should I illuminate the refugium?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com