Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2003, 08:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to bennerkla Send a message via MSN to bennerkla
when is that 4 hour duration?

Old 08-24-2003, 08:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Set up your lighting schedule for when its convienient for you....the fish will adapt to it.

Old 08-24-2003, 09:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennerkla
when is that 4 hour duration?
You can have that 4 hour period anytime you want. On my 180g tank, I have my lights come on at 7pm and go off at around 4am. That way the fish do get total darkness for sleep(as fish have no eyelids to block light) And I get to view the tank at night when Im home..............

I would just go buy like an 11 dollar light timer from home depot, and set it and forget about it...that way your fish get on the cycle of the tank................
Old 08-24-2003, 11:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can get light timers for like 4 dollars at Walmart!

Thats real cool you want to get into SW at your age, but I would rethink your budget. Im setting up a 55gal reef with a 20gal overflow sump tank right now and I have estimated to be well into 3000 dollars by the time it is done..of sorts, that would be fully stocked with LR,LS,Coral,invertes,and fish. Not to mention all the other necessary equipment. My lighting system alone is approaching 900 dollars.

To answer your question "am I crazy" I would say for 75 or even 55 gal...yes you are. Not to discourage you, but a rule of thumb for a SW tank is about 20 to 25 dollars per gallon for a completed tank, so 55gal times 20 dollars is 1100 dollars and that would be just the necessities!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't get discouraged by start up costs. It is true that it is going to be pricey, but I'll tell you how I have been doing it. If it is something you are truly interested in, then planning should be alot of fun for you. I have bought my tank, and most of the required equipment but there are still things that I want before I start putting water in the tank. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on for the last two months. This is not a hobby where you want to jump right in. Too much can go wrong with out proper research. When I first decided that I wanted a tank, I wanted to get it up and going right away. I only had about $300 at that point but I was told that it could be done. Well, once I took an interest in the surrounding literature, I found that if I wanted to do it right, it was gonna be more than what I had. So, as I got money, I bought a few things here and there, but I only bought what I knew I wanted from doing all the research. I don't imagine I will have fish in my tanks for at least another 3 months.... I am fine with that because I am having so much fun just learning. So my advice is to go slow and get thins as you can afford them and not try to do it for the least amount of money. $400 - $600, as you mentioned, is alot of money, even for me at 27, so I would hate to see you spend it all and not end up with the tank you are after and only get an abundance of tank related problems. I am by no means trying to discourage you, I think you should go full bore and plan out your dream setup and work towards it. I think you will enjoy the learning process as well as the planning and you will have that much more of a better setup for it..... It will be worth the wait in my opinion anyway. Another idea.... If you were interested, get the tank and the necessary supplies for freshwater and have fish to look after while you are assembling your SW system. Just a thought. I hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:12 AM   #16

check PetSmart. They sell a 55 with hood and lights for $99, everyday price. That'll save you $40. As far as light cycle's, you need to think about what the fishes natural environment is. In all places of the world, the sun rises and sets. There is importance to both the sun being up and the sun being down. We should always strive to replicate mother natureas much as possible. Therefore, you should set up your lights on a timer, and the cycles should vary month by month, getting longer and shorter periods of time when the lights are on. Good Luck
Old 08-25-2003, 02:31 AM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor
and the cycles should vary month by month, getting longer and shorter periods of time when the lights are on.
That would actually depend on where the fish originated from. If primarily from equatorial waters, the duration of the day does not vary much if at all. :P
If a reef set up, I would set it and forget it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-25-2003, 02:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
Since you live in Ohio, you should join the following Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ohio-Marine-Keepers/

If you ran the same post there as you did here, I just gotta wonder if some of the guys would donate some of their unused equipment to help get a young person started. It's worth a shot, plus good deals come up once in a while. A guy up around Cleveland just sold a complete 75 gallon setup with LR and fish for $500 a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:40 AM   #19

Dont allow the startup cost to discourage you. Im 23 years old and have a 180g setup. First it was a fish only, until I got some lights, then I got a skimmer, and slowly but surely it is becoming a reef.........

You can go all out and spend 2000 on a 55g tank. Is it necessary? No its not. You can do it cheaper. I laugh at the people that sell a 55g tank on ebay for 1500 bux. I would never buy that. I bought my 180g tank, stand and canopy, for a 1000 bux. Id rather go with a bare setup and get stuff as I can afford it.

Just take your time and watch ebay, the newspaper, even message boards such as AA, Reefcentral, Reefs.org, Reefaquariumguide, TheReefTank, and all of the others. There are always someone looking to get rid of their tanks for cheap. Im currently thinking about buying a 150g tank and stand for 500 bux................
Old 08-25-2003, 03:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to bennerkla Send a message via MSN to bennerkla
i joined the ohio marine group, and i'll ask on there. Thanks a lot guys, and new thoughts are always welcomed. Does anyone know how much 160 lbs of aquarium sand would cost? and what is live sand? how can sand be alive?

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com