Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think I made a mistake....

Setting up new 75gal and thougt I was doing everything perfect, until I added the sand. I bought some live agonite sand and dry sand from my LFS. The dry sand said it was from the ocean and didn't contain silica but once I added this sand it was very cloudy. About 24 hours later it cleared up but left a white film all over the class and suds on the side walls of my 30gal sump. Is this normal? The skimmer collected a pinkish milky substance that I emptied a couple of times, now my skimmer, pump and everything has a white film on it. Before I add my rock and fish is there anything that I should do? thanks

Old 07-26-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds normal to me. Adding sand straight from the bag will cause a cloud. There is a lot of fine particles in the sand. SOme wash the sand to keep the clouding to a minimum. For just starting the tank, you will be fine.

Put a HOB filter on the tank or something similar and it will help clear the water up faster if you want. It will subside though.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yep, normal. Expecially if you just dumped the sand in after the tank had water in it.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to gibbiceps Send a message via Yahoo to gibbiceps
that is normal i washed mine first and it still clouded the tank did you add natures ocean? that stuff makes lots of foam and clouds really bad

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com