I think I made a mistake....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgmatzke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up new 75gal and thougt I was doing everything perfect, until I added the sand. I bought some live agonite sand and dry sand from my LFS. The dry sand said it was from the ocean and didn't contain silica but once I added this sand it was very cloudy. About 24 hours later it cleared up but left a white film all over the class and suds on the side walls of my 30gal sump. Is this normal? The skimmer collected a pinkish milky substance that I emptied a couple of times, now my skimmer, pump and everything has a white film on it. Before I add my rock and fish is there anything that I should do? thanks

Sounds normal to me. Adding sand straight from the bag will cause a cloud. There is a lot of fine particles in the sand. SOme wash the sand to keep the clouding to a minimum. For just starting the tank, you will be fine.

Put a HOB filter on the tank or something similar and it will help clear the water up faster if you want. It will subside though.

Yep, normal. Expecially if you just dumped the sand in after the tank had water in it.

that is normal i washed mine first and it still clouded the tank did you add natures ocean? that stuff makes lots of foam and clouds really bad

Back
Top Bottom