I think my turbo snails reproduced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Not sure if this is typical or not(i didn't find much about it in search) but i've got some baby turbo snails wondering around on the glass this morning. I haven't added any live rock or anything like that lately that they could have hitchhiked onto. So i came to the conclusion that my current turbos just had babies. Can i expect this to happen a lot and if so, can they become a pest?

Not to put a damper on your possible success but it's highly unlikely the snails you have are to credit for these. If they are indeed turbo's to begin with. Trochidae are spawn scatterers which means they release reproductive material into the water column. No eggs are layed and any fertile eggs have a planktonic stage. This means it must go through a miriad of equipment (skimmer/filter/powerheads) for a few months before progressing to a "land stage" if you will. There are a few nerites while small that will resemble Turbans and one species of mini turbo (Collonista sp.) that can be a common hitchiker.

Any chance of a clear, close up pic?

Cheers
Steve

yeah, i'll try to get a pick tonight. THey went into the rockwork when the lights came on this morning.

Dejavu eh steve? lol
Steve just helped me ID some snails (mini turbos/Collonista sp.) that sound simular to what you are explaining.Here are some pics of mine. Neat little snails.

well, the only reason i say it was a turbo snail(mexican i believe)....is cause that's THE ONLY thing that was in there. And i haven't added anything till just now (got my LR.com shippment:))

That, and the other big reason i think they're turbo's is cause, they move around the same way, and have the same sucker looking mouth as the other big ones do. :shrug:

I have Astrea snails and I'm pretty sure they've reproduced. Either that or there were some very tiny ones that hitchhiked on my LR and went unnoticed for the first 6 months.
They've since grown bigger and are definitely Astrea snails.

here he is. he only comes out at night. and only for a short while. I think he's probably been in my tank for quite a while and i just now noticed him. Not sure what he is. Sorry about the picture quality....it's all i could do for now. He doesn't appear to have a shell either.

img_487902_0_a6384b2010e2137cfa2c2991368e1d89.jpg

Hard to tell but it looks like a Stomatella varia. Without seeing the shell I can't be positive though. Pretty typical hitchhiker and great algea grazer.

Stomatella definitely I'd say by the behavior. I had one of these as a hitchhiker months ago, and now have well over 20 grazing at night. Great for the tank and they definitely reproduce on their own just fine...

Back
Top Bottom