I want a nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel.Zero

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been doinf freashwater tanks for a while and now I want to use a left over 10 gallon to try a little salt water tank, maby 1 or 2 fish a coral... I am not really sure. I have been doing alot of reading but I am nothing but confused... what could I stock a 10 gallon with? what do I need (HOB filter, Protein skimmer, heater, chiller, special lighting)?? someone wanna clue me in on what I could do here?

:Edit: What the *beep* is live rock??

Angel.Zero said:
I have been doinf freashwater tanks for a while and now I want to use a left over 10 gallon to try a little salt water tank, maby 1 or 2 fish a coral... I am not really sure. I have been doing alot of reading but I am nothing but confused... what could I stock a 10 gallon with? what do I need (HOB filter, Protein skimmer, heater, chiller, special lighting)?? someone wanna clue me in on what I could do here?

:Edit: What the *beep* is live rock??

Well I'm still learning many things but I don't think a nano is a good idea for a first time saltwater tank. You will have to check the levels every day because evaporation will have a serious effect on your salinity. But if you must I would recommend a few things.

HOB filters will work on small tanks but the best filtration is about 20-25lbs of live rock from the lfs. Most people also recommend two smaller heaters incase of failure of one. A chiller will not be neccessary unless your house is extremely warm or you put metal halide lights against your water. The lighting needs to be 4-5wpg to have most corals. With a tank that small you shouldn't need MH lighting. As for flow most people recommend 15-20x turnover for a reef setup. which would be 400 gph.

I'm not really sure what would go nice. Maybe snails, cleaner shrimp, and a clown?

Currently I am working on my 120 gallon stand/canopy/lighting/ tank setup. I have to move my lights over from my 55 gallon. The lighitng will be 2x or so.. enough for some low light shrooms.. etc.

Courtesy of Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:Live+Rock

Starting out in SW with a 10gal tank is not really recommended due to it's small size. Smaller tanks are a lot less stable and require much closer attention. Starting with something like a 29gal would make a better starter tank. That being said, a 10gal is doable, just know it will be more of a challenge. What you "need" is directly related to what you would like to keep. I recommend LS substrate, 20lbs of LR and a small HOB filter for mechanical and chemical filtration. A small skimmer would be nice as well.

LR is the best form of biological filtration you can add to your tank. The porous surface area of the rock create a great place for beneficial bacteria to grow. These bacteria help to de-toxify the water and make it safe for livestock. (very basic description).

well the reason for the small tank is that I bought a 10 gallon "kit" and just recently upgraded to a 55 gallon tanks for my fw fish. I don't want to get a 55 gallon tank for the sw and find it to be to much and have wasted the money. so I currently have a hob filter, heater, ocean sand and 1 clown fish. I plan to add 10 pnds or so live rock as money becomes availible. but what else should I get? I also plan to add a hermit crab or 2 and an anenome once the tank is cycled and stable. If I enjoy the tank I will most likly get a 100 gallon or so for my fw tank and then the 55 gallon will become the new home for my sw inhabitints.

I am right to assume you have the clown in an uncycled tank? If so, you could be setting yourself up for problems. There is a great arcticle on cycling with the fishless method in the Articles section at the top of the page.

As for the anemone...it will require a lighting upgrade and a mature tank. It is best to wait several months before attempting such a delicte creature. A 10gal is not really a suitable home for one anyways. I urge you slow down a bit and research, research, research before moving forward.

my lfs told me the clown was good to cycle with (was that wrong?) and I know about the anemone and won't be added to the 10 gallon, next year I will be upgrading as I already stated. I don't plan on moving forward anytime soon. I am just trying to get my facts straight now. thank you lando for all of your advice!

Well, by LFS standards you were not "mislead". They will do what they can to make a buck. In the past, hardier fish like damsels and clowns were used to cycle a tank. However, this is very hard on the fish and many die during the process. "No problem" says the LFS, "you can always come back and get another one". Actually, using LR and a raw shrimp from the grocery store will do the job without exposing a fish to the harshness of a cycle. You can get uncured LR for very cheap on the internet from several vendors. This would be perfect to cycle a tank. Do the clown a favor and bring t back to the LFS until your tank is ready. Good luck!

Actually, cured LR would be better. It may shorten the length of your cycle. It is more expensvie.

well the lfs has cured fiji live rock in thier tanks, $7 a pound, maby I will go get some... now how much should I get? and would the cured live rock make life less stressful on the clown?

I am still an advocate of bring the clown back. However, adding 10-15lbs would be a big help. See if the LFS will give you a couple cups of substrate from one of their tanks as well. It will help establish the bacteria bed in your substrate a lot faster.

If I bring him back then I basically gave the store a donation. Not to mention my daughter would have a fit. I would like to keep him if I can... I will probly get 12 pnds of the lr to help him out and watch the water carfully. with a 10 gallon with just the clown do I need a protien skimmer? I have a hob filter with activated carbon and zeolite in it.

The shipping alone makes it really not worth it to us east coasters. almost $60 in shipping plus $20 for the rock, hmm $80 = $8 per pound. I am paying 7 now. oh well thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom