Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma1228 View Post
I think they should not be an animal to be had in a home aquarium. it would be really cool, but I just can't see them being happy and thriving to the fullest in a home aquarium.
Bravo. Sometimes it seem that we are more concerned with what we can do versus what we should do.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think it MIGHT be OK if it was in THIS aquarium...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even in that aquarium (I have spent a lot of time there as a guest and volunteer), they can't keep the octopi alive longer than 6-9 months. Their lifespans are so short that by the time they are captured, QT'd, etc. they already have 4 or 5 tentacles in the grave. They really should remain in the oceans IMHO.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Even in that aquarium (I have spent a lot of time there as a guest and volunteer), they can't keep the octopi alive longer than 6-9 months. Their lifespans are so short that by the time they are captured, QT'd, etc. they already have 4 or 5 tentacles in the grave. They really should remain in the oceans IMHO.
Wow, I had no idea! I was just being facecius lol I wonder why they don't do well in captivity? I mean, would they even explore half of that aquarium? It doesn't seem to be an issue of they don't like being in a closed environment?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
WOW I would LOVE to go to those aquariums! I would be in heaven lol.

You would think that the octopi would be OK, but maybe it just isn't meant to be.

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Wow, I had no idea! I was just being facecius lol I wonder why they don't do well in captivity? I mean, would they even explore half of that aquarium? It doesn't seem to be an issue of they don't like being in a closed environment?
It's not that they don't do well in captivity... it's that they just plain don't live very long, even in the wild. Granted... different species have different life spans, but I know that even the big monsters we have up here in the Pacific Northwest normally don't live more than 2-3 years even in the wild - and they're some of the largest ones ever recorded.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
It's not that they don't do well in captivity... it's that they just plain don't live very long, even in the wild. Granted... different species have different life spans, but I know that even the big monsters we have up here in the Pacific Northwest normally don't live more than 2-3 years even in the wild - and they're some of the largest ones ever recorded.
This is what it is. They are great little creatures and i have found them being rather hardy but this is 1 thing that dosent live long at all anywhere.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I searched the forum but couldn't find it.... Does anyone remember the guy on here who had like 3 different species of octopus? He had youtube videos linked in his posts. I can't seem to find them but they were neat to watch from what I remember. I think he had three different tanks with a species in each.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

If it doesn't do well in captivity, it shouldn't be in any aquarium and especially not a home aquarium. If its that the octopus doesn't live long, then there isn't much of a reason to have it as a pet and spending so much money when you will only have a few years to care for it. It is tempting to want something but sometimes we need to let that feeling go away to make it better for the animal.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

If you have the time and space to devote to a species specic tank they can be quite entertaining. But, octopuses have a short life span, from 6 months to a few years. Th elonger lived one get to be too big for a home aquarium. For the home expect a lifespan of 6 months to just over a year depeding on the species.

A friend of a friend set up an octopus tank. Keeping it the tank was never easy.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
octopus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com