i want to start a salt/w tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeyman164

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start a salt water tank and was wondering if a one gallon tank would do the trick for any type of species I thought of introducing a damsel into a 1 gallon salt water tank but decided that i should do some reaserch for now a wait.

Is a 1 gallon tank going to cut it for any species?
What type of species shpould i start off with?
what type of temprate water should i introduce into a 1 gallon or if i should even try something like this?
Will my tank be overcrowded with just 1 type of fish in it?

Maybe a hemit crab or snail, but thats too small for any fish imo.
Why not a 10 gallon? They are not expensive.

Is this going to be your first SW tank? If it is, I would also strongly suggest at least a 10 gallon. SW critters are typically much more sensative to water quality parameters and for the tank to be healthy the water parameters need to be stable. In a 1 gallon tank I would think it would require a fair deal of dicipline and experience.

If you have that experience and still want to go with a 1 gallon, then I would second QS's comments that really no fish would fit a 1 gallon system. I would say probably a few hermit or some snails and a little LR. You can have many interesting life forms simply on a piece of LR.

well for a 10 gallon tank, if you're talking fish, you'll want to get something that won't get more than an inch or two full grown. That doesn't leave a lot. Most of the damsels are pretty hardy and I don't believe they get more than a couple inches full grown (at least i've never seen any).

What kind of plan do you have for setting up the tank? location, substrate, filtration, lighting, test kits, salt, etc? We'd be happy to help you plan out your tank.

what about introducing a live rock or a coral into a 1 gallon tank. or a star and a live rock. just building a reef tank would be preety cool does a coral need fish to survive?

Back
Top Bottom