Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would like to know my options /suggestions

I'm about to acquire a 10gal nano tank. Previous owner has it set up as a mini-reef. Comes with Current USA skimmer, power filter, power-head, 50 watt submersible heater and 1- 20 96 watt pc. (Coralife) 50/50 bulb. Also has 11lbs of live rock. I'm quite familiar with freshwater planted and nonplanted setups, but this is my first dive into salt.

1. I would like to house easy-to-grow coral at first, and maybe move onto something more difficult later. Any suggestions?

2. Inverts - I assume hermit crabs and snails will be ok? Is this adequate room for a cleaner or coral banded shrimp?

3. After setup for a couple weeks, I would like to add a fish - obviously something that stays small. Is this enough room for a percula clown? Any other suggestions?

I will probably be using biospira to assist in the setup. I work at a LFS, so a lot of the stuff will be readily available to me.

thanks in advance

Old 06-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Getting the tank broken down or stocked with lr/substrate?

Light is fine for just about any coral. www.fantasyreef.com has a great database on beginner corals.

1 snail/hermit per 2 gal is fine. Cleaner is no problem but personally I wouldn't put a CBS in that small of a tank but others have done it without issue.

If not getting a cycled tank then you will need to do a fish less cycle first. Biospira is a waste of money IMO.

1 smaller clown i.e. =<4" would be fine or two fish =<3" Checkout www.liveaquaria.com nano fish section for ideas.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
1st dive into salter water.

Hit the book store and check out some items.

I read "The New Marine Aquarium" book by Michael S. Paletta. and it taught me a ton.
Now it doesnt get into corals but its a good starting place. From there you can look into other books that get more specific.

Someone mentioned another good book to read after the one i read but i cant find the post or remember what it was. If someone could post that again please that would be great. I'd like to check that one out as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dunno if the live rock will be live when I get it or not. I can always get some from my LFS though. I believe I read that 1lb/gal is about right?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
1.5 lbs per gal is better. Forgot to mention my stocklist post if you haven't read it already. It covers all the basics of whats needed to run a SW tank.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
1-2 lbs per gallon, yeah. In a nano tank, the more the better in my opinion.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com