I would like to know my options /suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm about to acquire a 10gal nano tank. Previous owner has it set up as a mini-reef. Comes with Current USA skimmer, power filter, power-head, 50 watt submersible heater and 1- 20” 96 watt pc. (Coralife) 50/50 bulb. Also has 11lbs of live rock. I'm quite familiar with freshwater planted and nonplanted setups, but this is my first dive into salt.

1. I would like to house easy-to-grow coral at first, and maybe move onto something more difficult later. Any suggestions?

2. Inverts - I assume hermit crabs and snails will be ok? Is this adequate room for a cleaner or coral banded shrimp?

3. After setup for a couple weeks, I would like to add a fish - obviously something that stays small. Is this enough room for a percula clown? Any other suggestions?

I will probably be using biospira to assist in the setup. I work at a LFS, so a lot of the stuff will be readily available to me.

thanks in advance

Getting the tank broken down or stocked with lr/substrate?

Light is fine for just about any coral. www.fantasyreef.com has a great database on beginner corals.

1 snail/hermit per 2 gal is fine. Cleaner is no problem but personally I wouldn't put a CBS in that small of a tank but others have done it without issue.

If not getting a cycled tank then you will need to do a fish less cycle first. Biospira is a waste of money IMO.

1 smaller clown i.e. =<4" would be fine or two fish =<3" Checkout www.liveaquaria.com nano fish section for ideas.

1st dive into salter water.

Hit the book store and check out some items.

I read "The New Marine Aquarium" book by Michael S. Paletta. and it taught me a ton.
Now it doesnt get into corals but its a good starting place. From there you can look into other books that get more specific.

Someone mentioned another good book to read after the one i read but i cant find the post or remember what it was. If someone could post that again please that would be great. I'd like to check that one out as well.

I dunno if the live rock will be live when I get it or not. I can always get some from my LFS though. I believe I read that 1lb/gal is about right?

1.5 lbs per gal is better. Forgot to mention my stocklist post if you haven't read it already. It covers all the basics of whats needed to run a SW tank.

Back
Top Bottom