Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ohh dimensions I'm not sure lol, I just don't want to overwhelm my room too much as the 3 tanks I mentioned to be mine are all in there as well Haha. To give you an idea, I would probably be setting this tank on my bedside table but I'll have to get a tape measure and take some measurements to let you know what the size of the base would be

Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plus if building your own with a little research you could do an intank filtration built into the back to hide equipment much like the biocubes

Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds awesome lol how do you weld acrylic? I like the look of those one tanks, I think they're called eclipse..also the fluval ones that look pretty sharp, I'd like to do something along those lines
Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh man haha I've never done any diy tank stuff but this is sounding very appealing!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welding acrylic is essentially just glueing but you aren't bonding two pieces with a glue your actually chemically melting the two together with a reagent resulting in a stronger piece then the sheet of acrylic much like welding metals
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is actually on my list of tanks to do lol my first pico tank im gonna do from the ground up
Old 08-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing to keep in mind when going DIY in this hobby is don't get overwhelmed.. most things in this hobby work best when built with simplicity in mind. So just think about you pico build as just glueing a box together with a couple compartments in it not that your building a mini reef. To do something like this all you would need to do is partition off a part of the back to have water flow into thru an overflow cut out and drain down over some type of filtration be it sponges filter floss or live rock and then into a return section with a small pump to send it back into the tank which would also give you one point of water flow to work with much like a circulation pump keeping down the equipment needed and seen.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ohhh okay, I think I've probably seen some things similar to that on youtube, I guess I'd better get to looking up how-tos! I'm getting excited ahahah.
Thanks for all the awesome ideas! I don't have much experience building things, I'm just 18 and didn't take any "shop" like classes in high school but this doesn't sound too hard, plus the guy at my local sw go-to place is awesome, he'll probably be a huge help
Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by datkush
Ohhh okay, I think I've probably seen some things similar to that on youtube, I guess I'd better get to looking up how-tos! I'm getting excited ahahah.
Thanks for all the awesome ideas! I don't have much experience building things, I'm just 18 and didn't take any "shop" like classes in high school but this doesn't sound too hard, plus the guy at my local sw go-to place is awesome, he'll probably be a huge help
I never took any "classes" on anything like that but just with a little thought and a lot of research anything can be done if you want it enough which who doesn't want a reef at home
Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exactly hahah, I can't imagine something of this size will be too terribly hard to do, either.

Tags
pico, reef, reef tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com