ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willy0508

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I went to get some small pieces of LR from my LFS. Guy gave me a few extra cause I'm always in there, nice guy. Get home and find this on one. I don't even have any fish yet and tank is about 2 months old.
I know it's a coral but can someone tell me what it is and what I need to keep it happy. Was only planning fish for a while but guess that changed.

Parameters are good, PH 8.1 Ammonia and Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5. Haven't checked Calk and other for corals as I wanted to wait but guess it's time for the test kits. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't have a saltwater tank yet. But I'm planning on a reef tank. I have been doing research on corals and it looks like finger coral. Apparently you got a nice piece of live rock and you have powerful lighting. Gratz man. Nice coloring and growth on your rock. How big is your tank and what lighting do you have for it?

It's a 29 gal (only room for it until new house it built then bigger :D) I have a HOB refuge and skimmer and the lights are a dual T5 with one Blue Actinic and one 10,000k white. Was looking at getting a 4 bulb when i moved to corals if needed but that may have changed. Got to keep an eye on the little guy!

Also just noticed a smaller one growing behind this one and some small red bulb like things with 3 or 4 finger like things sticking out on the other rock. I'll try to get a pic of them.

Thanks
willy0508

the only thing i know of that is referred to as a "finger coral" is a leather, and that's not it.
a couple questions:
does it have polyps?
is it soft to the touch or hard?

Mr. X, don't see any polyps, it looks completely smooth all around. Just touched it and it's hard like a rock.

i think we'll have to let it grow for a little while before i can give you a positive I.D.
either that or a closer pic. i don't think it's sps. i was leaning towards a type of calcium based algae called Amphiroa cryptarthrodia, but i haven't seen it that purple.

I'll see if i can get a closer pic tomorrow. While we are waiting :) Check out the things on my snails shell, at night I see small little finger like thing go in and out of them.

Thanks!

barnacles eh, so I have a pirate snail! :p Or one that was on a pirate ship.

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted on it.

Back
Top Bottom