ID PLEASE? How to fix it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the same problem,
I was thinking maybe the water was to hot....
How old is your thank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Six months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It cyanobacteria in the sand and green hair grass algae on the rock both perfectly normal in new tanks and I still have green hair grass in my tank I would Invest in green emerald crabs or turbo snails they love the hair grass as for the Cyanobacteria I would get the water tested first and if it's ok I'd invest in a bristle star to sand sift or some blue legged crabs

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

If is cyano , I don't think starfish or hermit crab are going to help....

It cyanobacteria in the sand and green hair grass algae on the rock both perfectly normal in new tanks and I still have green hair grass in my tank I would Invest in green emerald crabs or turbo snails they love the hair grass as for the Cyanobacteria I would get the water tested first and if it's ok I'd invest in a bristle star to sand sift or some blue legged crabs

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Crabs aren't going to be the answer for hair algae, reduction of nutrients is the only real way to get rid of it. The other looks a lot more like diatoms than cyano, which will go away on their own.

If is cyano , I don't think starfish or hermit crab are going to help....

No they won't.

It's not going to fix it but emerald crabs love the stuff and can easily control it and with crabs an stars with cyano that's how I got rid of mine I bought 10 crabs and a star with in 2weeks it was gone

My emerald only eat bubble algae, never had luck with cyano...
I been told many time there is nothing that eat cyano, unless the LFS try to sell me something,I even tried chemy clean and was a mistake....
+ 1 on big red , the one on the sand bed looks like diatoms

It's not going to fix it but emerald crabs love the stuff and can easily control it and with crabs an stars with cyano that's how I got rid of mine I bought 10 crabs and a star with in 2weeks it was gone

If your cyano looked like the first pic the op posted, it went away because it was a diatom bloom and that's what they do. IMO eliminating 99% of nuisance algae by stocking and feeding properly and a good maintenance schedule is way better than trying to control it with animals that may or may not eat it. IME emerald crabs are more likely to go after meaty foods than hair algae, especially once it's grown like it has in the ops tank, all adding that many crabs, hermits and stars is just adding more nutrients to a system that obviously has excess nutrients already.

So big red, in that case what is the best way? I'm removing those air algae by hand or a tooth brush, or there is a better way?

Reduction of nutrients is key. Bigred is right as usual ;) haha, but honestly I would say very rarely, if ever, combat an issue by adding more animals into the system.

You want the cyano gone? You need nutrients gone, by adding animals you are creating more nutrients and thus the cyano will never stop completly. Goodluck, definitely listen to Bigred he knows his stuff.

What are you running for filtration? In general though it usually comes down to increasing water changes, both frequency and amount until you get in under control (once under control you can go back to your usual amount of time between changes, but I'd do bigger changes than you were doing), and reducing the amount you feed. Reducing the photo period can help but isn't really a solution. It's all about achieving a balance between the nutrients you put in and the nutrients being roved by your filtration/maintenance.

IMO a lot of people say that nuisance algae are a phase in new tanks, when it's really just the aquarist learning the balance of their new system. If I cycled a coral only tank it would not be infested with nuisance algae because there would be very little feeding in the tank (need to get some nitrate and phosphate in the system) so the balance would be very easy to maintain.

What are you running for filtration? In general though it usually comes down to increasing water changes, both frequency and amount until you get in under control (once under control you can go back to your usual amount of time between changes, but I'd do bigger changes than you were doing), and reducing the amount you feed. Reducing the photo period can help but isn't really a solution. It's all about achieving a balance between the nutrients you put in and the nutrients being roved by your filtration/maintenance.

IMO a lot of people say that nuisance algae are a phase in new tanks, when it's really just the aquarist learning the balance of their new system. If I cycled a coral only tank it would not be infested with nuisance algae because there would be very little feeding in the tank (need to get some nitrate and phosphate in the system) so the balance would be very easy to maintain.

+1 to this.

In my 70 g I got a skimmer( reef octopus classic 150),and I got cheato in the hob refugium...
But the temperature was a little high then usual last month and I don't have a chiller, also I may was to generous with the feeding...?

Forgot,
Also got phosban reactor with rowa and uv sterilizer.... By the way I use very little rowa in the reactor, how often I have to change it?

Big red, only filtration is 45 pounds of live rock. Weekly 5 gallon water change (30 gallon tank). Saving up for protein skimmer. I know I'm over feeding so have backed down to feeding every other day versus once a day. Been doing that for four days now.

Cheap hob filter to run some phosphate media could also help. One of the aqua clears would work great, bare bones so they're easy to clean, and lots of media will fit. Also I'd up the wc's until you get it under control.

Ok, that's what I was kinda thinking to. Thanks big red.

Big red I put some phosban in did first water change today. Got 20 gallons for 5 gallon changes. Was thinking every other day. That two often?

Back
Top Bottom