ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i want to get another fish for my 75 gal but dont know what. Right now i have a Yellow tang, clark clown, yellow tail damsel. I want to add corals later on.

I really would like to get some type of angler fish. does anyone have experience with them.

I also like trigger fish but most are not coral safe except the blue throated trigger. does anyone have experience with them.

I also like some of the pygmy angels or regular angels. does anyone have experience with them.

Large angel
Large angel

Not many other large angels that are reef safe. Pygmy angels are kind of risky. Most of them are 50-50 chance on the reef safe. Some will be good at first and then turn one day and start eating coral. Problem is if they do turn it is very difficult to get them out of the tank.

Trigger fish are not a good idea for a reef. They are very aggressive when they get bigger. They also have been known to rearrange thing as they see fit. Which is a risk for your corals. Most of them will outgrow a 75 before to long anyway.

I would look for a nice reef safe wrasse to put in there. There are a few real nice ones that add color and activity to the tank.

Sorry for the posts.

Is there anything out there that looks like an angler but not an angler.

What are these stonefish or frogfish. I am looking for something unique looking that will sit on my LR or bottom.

for example this fish is something im looking for.
3293_yellowantennarius.jpg

For triggers look for planktivores (zooplankton) such as Xanthichthys auromarginatus, Xanthichthys mento, and Xanthichthys ringens along with better behaving Melichthys vidua, Odonus niger, Sufflamen Bursa, and Rhinecanthus spp. (I prefer assassi). Size-wise, you be better off with one of the zookplanktors or Sufflamen bursa.

I have kept blue chin and crosshatch triggers in reef tanks with a lot of success.The only and rare problem seems to be that they forget and eat an occasional shrimp. As mentioned above some people say they rearrange furniture, this by luck or design has not happened to me yet.

The cross hatch Triggers are really nice what do they run in price all the reading i have done says they are hard to find.

Blue chin trigger seems nice as well and easier to find and smaller in size and they seem to both have the same personality.

does anyone know of anything that resembles an angler or some type of fish that is just wacky looking that will sit on my LR. Sorry everyone for the weird questions.

I am not sure what the prices are in the USA but in Canada male blue chin triggers are around 70 dollars the 6" crosshatch male that I picked up cost me 495 it was the only one I came across in the last 3 years so macaroni and cheese for a month it had to be.To put it in prospective a yellow tang is 60 dollars here.

I was truly thinking about keeping my tank FOWLR just because of the limitations on what kind of fish you can get

MY LFS has a Huma Huma trigger right now and is only about 2 inches long. I have a Yellow tang and clark clown and yellow tail damsel in my tank along with a bunch of hermit crabs.

Will this Huma Huma be ok in my tank (75 gal) and if i were to later on go for corals would he be ok with corals and if not is there certain kinds of coral that he would be ok with.

SORRY EVERYONE FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS.

They really aren't interested in corals and moreso might take interest in shrimp or hermit crabs. The main problem, other than plain ol' aggressive species, is with many triggers and their digging abilities undermining rock structures. Even the smaller triggers will get about 6-8" and built like tanks...

I would not house stonefish, very venemous. Anglers can swallow small fish and even cannibalise each other. They can also be difficult to feed, which is why many prefer a specie-specific setup. Most predatory fish are just that and why mixing such fish is problematic, but possible.

Back
Top Bottom