Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ideas on a new SUMP Filter - FOWLR setup

Hi Guys,

I currently have a 30G FW tank. I am going to get a 80G SW and use the 30G for a sump (DIY).

Ive done a lot of reasearch on sump ideas and am still very puzzled.

So far I have in my idea the idea of 4 compartments with 2 baffles, or 3 compartments?

First compartment water flows into first compartment (through a sock or not?) and goes through a baffle and under into live rock or bio balls? Which ones better? or is it better to go straight into the live rock or bio balls?

Then over the top into a skimmer compartment back through a baffle then into return pump compartment?

Is it good to have DSB? If so where? Necessary?

I seriously need help on this.

Thanks Jon

Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would build it like this-
the first compartment should have water enter, and then go over the first partition. i would have the skimmer in this first compartment as well.
i would use live rock, and not bio balls in the second chamber. the filter sock is up to you.
then over another partition, then under another one, and into the return area.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Just another 2 quick questions.

Where would I put the heater? and
If i wanted to attach a UV steralizer, where would I put it after the return pump?

Thanks very much! Jon
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would use more than 1 heater, first of all. 2 smaller heaters would be better than 1 large one. put one in the intake section and one in the display if you can manage hiding it well.
i wouldn't use a UV sterilizer on a reef tank, if that's what you are doing.
i wouldn't put the sterilizer on the return pump if i was going to use one. i would want to use a different pump with slower flow. i guess you could T off of the return and use a ball valve to regulate water through it.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #5

I dont understand (diagram) ?? maybe i wont bother yet.

Im doing FOWLR not reef well not at the moment.

And all the equipment e.g. skimmer, return pump and overflow box, does it all have to flow at the same GPH for the whole system to work?

Thanks Jon
Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

if i was you i'd drill the display tank. it's much better than using a siphon overflow box.

which part didn't you understand? the T part for the UV?

the skimmer has it's own pump and does not need to be in sync with everything else. the HOB overflow will require a pump to push it to it's capacity. otherwise you could lose siphon.
a drilled tank works by gravity. you can put any pump you want on a drilled tank, as long as the drain can handle it.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would keep it simple and go with first chamber goes through sock(s), second chamber is bio balls and filter tray (wet/dry basically), third chamber protein skimmer with return. If you have any room, put live rock rubble or pieces in there. Otherwise, you need to go down the refugium route which takes some special skills and careful watch. I would not use just a bunch of live rock in the second chamber instead of bio balls. All natural is not always better - unless done really really well. And in nature, expect natural disasters to occur, which could be the case with a refugium if not maintained properly and built correctly.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry to have to disagree, but i don't think you have the slightest idea what you are talking about.
what natural disasters?
what special skills do you need to keep a refugium?
all natural is not always better? what exactly do you mean by that?
if you put the protein skimmer in the return area, where the water is never at a constant level, it will not be efficient.
bio balls don't have anywhere near the surface area live rock does.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

easy way to have in refugium is macroalgae...usually people put chaeto algae there....and got same questions;
what is natural disaster..?? if so, then i think all fish already died due to lots of natural disaster nowadays
all natural is not always better..?? i think all the technologies made for aquarium adapt from natural....am i wrong..???
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsomepopcorn View Post
I would keep it simple and go with first chamber goes through sock(s), second chamber is bio balls and filter tray (wet/dry basically), third chamber protein skimmer with return. If you have any room, put live rock rubble or pieces in there. Otherwise, you need to go down the refugium route which takes some special skills and careful watch. I would not use just a bunch of live rock in the second chamber instead of bio balls. All natural is not always better - unless done really really well. And in nature, expect natural disasters to occur, which could be the case with a refugium if not maintained properly and built correctly.
Not too sure about any of this,Live Rock is definately the best way not bio balls,a fuge is quite a simple piece of kit the main thing is probably flow rate through it,as Mr.x said the return pump section is where you see your water levels drop due too evaporation a skimmer here won't work,here's a very basic drawing of a tank with overflow and sump,if you drill the dt then just remove the overflow box from the drawing.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...icture8406.png

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, fowlr, new filter, saltwater, setup, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com