Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad

Edit - not sure why my pic posted in B&W???? Wasn't that way in my folder. Hmmmm. Hope you can still see the rock structure.
Click on the photo I also dont know why but others photos show up in negative form or in BW
Sorry no help other wise

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is what my rock looks like so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rock_built_upward_small_web_view_120.jpg (35.1 KB, 37 views)

Old 12-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Check out Inland Aquatics detrivore kit and ISPF for two sites that offer detrivore kits.

A detrivore kits includes a variety of amphipods and copepods, etc. that live in the sand and eat detritus. They form part of the clean up crew. They are also food for some fish.

You need to get some power heads to increase flow, and more rock would be a good thing in your tank. My tangs and Foxface have plenty of swimming room in front of the rocks and dart in and out of the rock crevices.

You should also look at adding some snails.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those detrivore kits seem like a great idea. And those websites were very helpfull. thank you cmor1701d. I will be ordering 2 hydor koralia 2's in a couple weeks and 1 or 2 maxi-jets. I did buy a sally lightfoot crab which is munching pretty good. I was thinking I will buy a fighting conch and a bullet goby real soon as well. Maybe a detrivore kit as well??

To save some money by buying base rock is sounding pretty good considering I only have 1000 dollars to work with. what is a good place to order base rock from. My current fiji is big and would probably not sit well on top of large base rock I would need light base rock for the top of the live rock. any ideas????

I want to add more snails as suggested. Which snails should I purchase I got a turbo snail from petco that lasted only 1 week and then died. I am thinking I will place an order online I don't really trust Petco so much the workers don't seem like they know what they are doing. And the decent LFS that I usually shop never has any clean up crew to sell me there tanks are bare usually.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

yes youre right LR is important, but it is over emphasized in this hobby... there is no need for 2.0 per gallon... yes i can get a pick of my tank... and the point is that fish only use rocks to hide... most of the time they are out swimming and grazing, thats why you stack low so they can swim and graze.. stacking high keeps them from doing that...
Old 12-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I got my base rock from Reef Rock from ThatFishPlace.com and I would place it under the LR for aesthetics.

Snails can be found at dozens of places http://www.reefscavengers.com/; www.saltwaterfish.com; eBay; marinedepotlive.com. liveaquaria.com; BlueZooAquatics are just a few. I know I'm missing some other very good sites.

As for which ones to get? Use this as guide. You want to get about 1/gal total.
Nassarius Snails : Great detrivores and sand-stirrers. They will hide in the sand until feeding time.

Astrea Snails : A great algae eater, but sometimes fall off the glass onto their backs and will require a little help to right themselves.

Cerith Snails Will also breed in your tank. Good algae eaters and sand-stirrers.

Fighting Conchs : Little vacuum cleaners. One per 2 sq. ft. of sand. They'll eat diatoms and, sometimes, cyano (but not for me).

Turbo Snails : They are big and clumsy. They'll knock over or move anything that isn't glued/nailed down.

amkelly...Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your opinion is that LR is over emphasized. IMO and the opinion of many/most people here, the recommendation of 1˝ - 2 pounds of LR per gallon still stands. It works. Does it need to be in the display tank? Absolutely not. I have seen setups with large sumps that have most of the LR. I don't have the room for that, and have almost 200 pounds of LR in my display tank. My fish have plenty of swimming space in front of, behind and through the rock.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

i agree with you that everyone likes there own thing im not arguing that.. and by the looks of your tank it looks good... nothing wrong.. all im trying to say is that a lot of fish prefer to swim above the rocks thats all.. i agree thats 2lbs per gallon can still give a lot of space... thats whats great about this hobby... one thing can work for someone and then something totally different for someone else all in all both ways are good

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com