Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayinaung View Post
Darn really? were they feeding the crab? give it vegies fruits seaweed or just letting it scavange for left over fish food?
Most likely leaving them to scavenge as a member of the CUC and they got hungry.....

Quote:
Someone asked if I had any bioload in my nano and I said anemone. They thought I still need fish in there. This is a mature 10 gallon nano. I did have fish before, now just the anemone. Thoughts?
If you've got inverts in there, they poop too.... it may not be very much, but it's enough to maintain some beneficial bacteria. The only thing to note is that the amount of BB adjust to the bioload that you have, so if you suddenly add a larger load like a fish, you may see a mini spike in ammo & nitrites until the BB catch back up.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

So your answer sounds like, I should add a small fish...

Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You tank will do OK without one, but I'd personally have a small goby in there just 'cause they're cute to watch...... your choice.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks. I'll begin researching on gobies... I'll add a clown when the anemone is bigger.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I'll add a clown when the anemone is bigger.
Sorry, but that tank is way too small for a clown.... Even for the smallest clowns, you need a minimum of 20g, preferably 25 to 30. With a pico that size, one fish is about all you want.....
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post

Sorry, but that tank is way too small for a clown.... Even for the smallest clowns, you need a minimum of 20g, preferably 25 to 30. With a pico that size, one fish is about all you want.....
You can keep a clown for a long while (year or two) if you'll upgrade or transfer it to another tank. Just keep an eye on parameters and get a tank bred juvenile Ocellaris Clown, which is one of the smaller varieties. Research more, and you'll see it's fine.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelbknudsen View Post
You can keep a clown for a long while (year or two) if you'll upgrade or transfer it to another tank. Just keep an eye on parameters and get a tank bred juvenile Ocellaris Clown, which is one of the smaller varieties. Research more, and you'll see it's fine.

In all attempts to maintain civil conversation, I'll word it as being ardently adverse to this particular practice. You're purposely placing a fish into an enclosure that you know it will out-grow, causing discomfort & stress until it's moved, and then causing even further distress by having to acclimate it to a new home, when it could have been placed there in the first place to live a long, healthy, happy, stress-free life.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright, let's not argue about a hypothetical fish being added to a nano. I'm not planning on adding any angels for instance. Both you have good points. Anything I do will be to scale. If we want to be truly ethical and ecologically sensitive we shouldn't be having this hobby at all because it IS destroying corals around the world not to mention the carbon footprint on this? we might as well NOT do it and support keeping local fishes only. This IS a guilty pleasure, however you want to justify it.

Now yeah I'm soon building a double 55/65 gallon tanks with mangrove shallow water type "sump" if you will that I will cycle for at least six months before attempting to put any livestock in. I love mature tanks. They are just so much more stable. This is my project for the summer.

I have kept fresh water tanks for 20 years and know the value of cycling and eco system of enclosed water tanks. I just don't have a monitor with probes sitting in the tank measuring every measurable every second. I have an instinct about tanks, and fishes. So whatever fish I add, will be fine. Peace!

Tags
cap, capacity, change, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com