Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

if i wanted to change my freshwater 36g

If I wanted to change over my 36g freshwater tank what would I need to get?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi it really depends on what type of set up you want?
Basically = salt,refractometer,living rock,protein skimmer,salt water test kit,R/O water or equivalent. Also you would change the lights on your current set up to marine type tubes. Hope this helps also its not as hard as it sounds

Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

What about the flow? I have a biocube. and yes it helps. what type of lighting do I need for anemones?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry I am all new to this but I love my bio and I needed a hobby..
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi yes sorry forgot to mention water flow yes most set ups have loads of turn over,using pumps to simply recirculate the water. As for the anemone i would wait on that one as they are quite demanding and need perfect water,so i would look to have a FOWL set up = F = fish, O = only W =with, L = living rock. so that means the 'rock' filters your tank,you just need a filter for removing solids and phosphates. A phosphate remover is just like carbon. Solid removing filter is simply some sponge or equivalent.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Basically I plan on setting it up and letting it run for about a year, so everything is perfect, just basically live rock and a really small cuc. I want it to be awesome. It is in my livingroom and everyone that sees my chiclid tank is always saying they have never seen one so clean.. I am OCD and my bio is doing great other than it is small and so pest algae but I am dealing with that. I want a anemone just one if I can. Lol I spend hours looking at my tanks. I want something bigger than the bio to. Sorry lots to say and ask.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need to wait about 9 months to a year to have a bubble tip anemone safely because they are rather touchy about their water. A 150 mh is what I use on my 28 with a rose bubble tip anemone in it. If you don't want to wait until you can have a bta you can always get something like a nice torch coral that would do fine under a lot less light. If you are thinking about getting a clown so it will host the anemone don't hold your breath I have a clown that only hosts things like candy cane and acans yet it has a perfectly lovely rbta.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Certain types of clowns r more likely to host certain types of anemones. A carpet anemone is more likely to host a percula or ocellaris than a bta. Your best bet with a bta us basically any other clown, tomato, maroon, skunk, etc. Don't get me wrong perculas will host a bta, I'm just saying research will give u best odds.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi Torrie any progress on your plans? A smart CUC will keep you looking at the tank for ages as they are so amazing to watch. But a fish will help you learn loads more.Most damsels are very hardy but can be quite 'bold' and a little aggressive to other tank mates but not all are the same! I had a yellow tail blue one and he/she was so placid it was amazing,and so friendly! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing and ask away with the questions
Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

For now waiting until I have found new homes for my snow white, bumble bee, jewel and three other african chiclids a new home.. and then it is on. It will be so bad [moderator edit] and the key to that is take it very slow.

Tags
change, freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com