if i wanted to go reef whats the minimum i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyBoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
have a 4 foot tank thats doing nothing whats the minimum equipment wise that i would need for setup
thanks

ReefRaff said:
you don't skim kevin?

Yep, I use a skimmer and I am a firm believer in skimming, but I have also seen many successful reef tanks that do not use a skimmer. I can't argue with success, but I belive the pros of skimming out weigh (by far) the cons. I also believe that a skimmer is the most important piece of equipment for a beginner, followed closely by an RO/DI filter (or a source of RO/DI water). Once the fundamentals of reefing are understood, then experimentation with skimmerless can begin.

sharpy98 said:
How bout Live Rock or a filter of some sort?

Actually, although it is something you'd need, the LR falls into the livestock category more than it does equipment. Typically, the only real filtration used on most reef tanks is the skimmer. Power filters tend to become nitrate factories and really don't contribute anything to a properly set up reef tank.

Sorry to Hijack the Thread me been new here and everything, but can i just ask, do you people in the US class LR as livestock? Us in the UK tend to class it as filteration.

TIA
Danny

I class it as both red
Huh?

It is classed as LiveStock in some LFS's and Filtration and Decoration in others rom what I have seen...

I think it is livestock because of the creatures on it, but the creatures clean so I see them as filters as well.

I would classify livestock as anything that has to be directly feed and adds to the general bioload of the tank.

Live rock to me is both decoration and filtration.

I always thought of it as livestock because of the organisms that live on/in it. I guess it could be viewed either way depending on ones point of view. I certainly wouldn't argue the point either way though. At any rate, I think we can all agree that it's an integral part of a reef tank and all around good stuff to have. :)

Back
Top Bottom