If you had a new 125, what you would light it with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
If you had a new 125 gallon tank and were new to SW, what would you light it with?

I want to be able to grow a mixed reef, all kinds of corals. I'm looking at lighting options right now.

What would you choose?

Yes, the 72"

Which one do you recommend? The 834W or the 1134W? I've been leaning towards the 1134W and like the idea of an "all-in-one" unit. But, would a unit with T5s be better than the CFs?

Odyssea makes a similiar unit, MUCH cheaper, but I've heard very mixed reviews on the quality of the MH Ballasts in it, after reading a good portion of a 120 page thread at RC.

You can mix it up and put a couple MH's in the middle for sps corals with t-5's or VHO on the ends for lower light corals.

yes T5's are better than CF's but since it comes with 3 metal halides, you should be good. oh and I would get the 1134W. Guessing that your tank is also gonna be deeper... I was gonna get the Odyssea fixture too but I came across this on craigslist and got it for half price (only 3 months used).

I do have a 125 and I love my VHO lights. I use URI bulbs that have an internal reflector and a reflective dome over the lights for maximum lighting. I am able to keep all soft and LPS corals and some SPS corals. Also medium light clams.

Attachments

• 100_0972_160.jpg
    100_0972_160.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 29
http://cgi.ebay.com/VHO-72-1134W-Me...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that is a pretty mother-flipping sick price. even if they lamps they send you are chitty, you can pick up some cheapo's at www.reefopticslighting.com $35 for a bulbs is equally sick pricing and folks at reefcentral have a thread about em, pretty good reviews.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=924715&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

it led to me buying one to try it out, im very impressed and my corals respond well to it. I have an open brain that inflates bigger than it ever did under the old light (which was a catalinaaquarium bulb)

I have the 834W one and wished I had gotten the 1134W one. Actually on the 6 foot one, there are 4 of the bulbs and three MHs. Neilan, with the exception of the lighting, don't go crazy with buying a lot of equipment. I have lots of phs and other stuff sitting around.

Awesome, good to know. I'm starting to add up what this is going to cost me and I'm really starting to get intimidated. Don't get me wrong, I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, but wow this stuff adds up. I really appreciate that Scott. We're hoping to hear back from the bank today on our offer and close next month, so I'm anxious to get started on this project.

I'm still debating on the lighting. I'm assuming I'll be building my own canopy for this, and if that's the case then probably using a retro kit and DIY style will work out best, both price wise and that way I can build just what I want with it. I'm still thinking MHs, then adding VHOs for supplemental and actinc if I need it. Although, I still really like the all-in-one deals that were linked in this thread too, mainly for simplicity.

Cool, I PM'ed Ziggy and he's willing to come up and help us figure out exactly what I have and give some extra advice....

Wouldn't suggest Odyssea at all. Odyssea uses ballasts that aren't UL listed. This means it is liable to catch your house on fire!

Back
Top Bottom