Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Smile If you have a saltwater tank do you need a filter?

Honestly I want a saltwater tank but don't know how exactly to set them up. Do you still need a filter??? I would think there is like a specialized filter?? Thanks

Mmplatyowner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Your filter will depend on your needs and your size tank.

Start out by doing research. Read, Read, Read! Here's a good place to start out:

Also, do you know what kind of fish you want? Fish have different tank size requirements which will dictate what size tank you're going to need. Honestly, go bigger if you can. It's a lot more forgiving than nanos.

225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
The only filters you need are live rock and a protein skimmer. you can put filters in but you would have to clean them weekly
Nosaj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
No need for a filter if you have live rock and a protien skimmer. I used a filter for my 25 gallon for about a month and now it's being turned into a fuge because it's a pain and doesn't really help anything.
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you are worried about fancy filters you don't have to be I have seen tanks at my lfs that have been running overrated hob filters for years without any bad effects. You can turn it into a fuge pretty easy especially the aquaclear brand. A fuge is basically a filter that allows water to circulate through macro algae. I had an aquaclear filter that basically turned itself into an algae scrubber with pest algae but it kept the algae from going in my tank. I passed it onto a friend and it actually works the same way on her tank.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The only filtration needed as the others have said is live rock and a good protein skimmer. The skimmer should be oversized if keeping a high bio load (lots of fish). Filters commonly used in freshwater tanks such as HOB and canister filters can become nitrate traps if not cleaned very often; this frequent cleaning can also kill the good bacteria the filter provides if not careful, making the filter useless. A sump filtration system would be good as well simply because it will increase the water capacity of the system thereby helping the prevent nitrogen(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) spikes.

dave333539 is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com