If you have a saltwater tank do you need a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mmplatyowner24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Honestly I want a saltwater tank but don't know how exactly to set them up. Do you still need a filter??? I would think there is like a specialized filter?? Thanks

Your filter will depend on your needs and your size tank.

Start out by doing research. Read, Read, Read! Here's a good place to start out:
Articles

Also, do you know what kind of fish you want? Fish have different tank size requirements which will dictate what size tank you're going to need. Honestly, go bigger if you can. It's a lot more forgiving than nanos.

The only filters you need are live rock and a protein skimmer. you can put filters in but you would have to clean them weekly

No need for a filter if you have live rock and a protien skimmer. I used a filter for my 25 gallon for about a month and now it's being turned into a fuge because it's a pain and doesn't really help anything.

If you are worried about fancy filters you don't have to be I have seen tanks at my lfs that have been running overrated hob filters for years without any bad effects. You can turn it into a fuge pretty easy especially the aquaclear brand. A fuge is basically a filter that allows water to circulate through macro algae. I had an aquaclear filter that basically turned itself into an algae scrubber with pest algae but it kept the algae from going in my tank. I passed it onto a friend and it actually works the same way on her tank.

The only filtration needed as the others have said is live rock and a good protein skimmer. The skimmer should be oversized if keeping a high bio load (lots of fish). Filters commonly used in freshwater tanks such as HOB and canister filters can become nitrate traps if not cleaned very often; this frequent cleaning can also kill the good bacteria the filter provides if not careful, making the filter useless. A sump filtration system would be good as well simply because it will increase the water capacity of the system thereby helping the prevent nitrogen(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) spikes.

Back
Top Bottom