Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
zacdl

Well just dont get a 7' shark stay with the smaller ones.

The lighting if you just are going to have a no-coral no-anemonae tank, you just need enough lighting to make it look good.

Ive seen skimmers like 6' tall, I dont imagine those are cheap either, maybe a few grand.

I dont know how hard sharks are to keep but do you really need a skimmer for a shark?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are you going to maintain the tank. Sure you could go in the tank, but bull sharks are the deadliest sharks in the world. I know a guy who has a saltwater pond in his backyard thats about 100x50 feet, but you would have to live in Florida to even consider that, because you would need saltwater groundwater.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a skimmer basically just a pipe with a bubble flow through it and a catch at the top? The ones I've seen at the pet store obviously wouldn't work for that large of a tank, but could probably be scaled up using pvc pipe from home depot, like sewage return pipes should be big enough. Take a BIG water jet, put an air stone in the line for the input and fashion the top out of pvc fittings.

I'm just a lowly freshwater guy myself, so I could be way off base.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #14
zacdl

Yep you could do one like that but it would be trickey to get the cone part made.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hmm, well I've been doing more and more research. Here's a couple of things I've discovered that might save me a good bit in money. I could build the sides, base and back out of 2 inch thick plywood covered in epoxy glue. Obviously I would need a TON of support braces. If I placed a 2x4 support brace every 6 to 12 inches I would think that would be sufficient support. I could then order 1 inch thick plexiglass for the front (probably would still want to put at least 3 braces across the front for the plexiglass). Does that sound feasible to you all?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM   #16
zacdl

Yea that sounds OK but how are you going to cover the plywood so you dont see it?

Also you will still need to put at least 1/4" of glass or something around the plywood for more water-proofness.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your acrylic needs to be thicker than 1/2". My tank is 1" and is not near that large. 1 piece of acrylic that large will probably cost you more than $2,000. Much cheaper if you buy it in 4X8 sheets
Old 06-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that you would need glass or something more waterproof to cover the plywood. With a sharks skin, I would think it could rub through the epoxy.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to ryan_2k5
thats a big tank lol

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com