Ignorance turned to reefeducation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Atleast for the time being a heater would be fine by itself. I am a huge duncan fan myself. They are hardy and have a great look to them. They are peaceful as well, unlike other "waving" corals like the frogspawn and hammer you'll have at the bottom of your tank. They are the fastest growing thing in my tank currently. I personally don't like zoas as I just haven't been able to get them to really flourish...or do well for that matter.

What kind of look would you like for that spot? A blasto might fill the void that you were thinking about having the flower pot in, or maybe a bubble coral (though it can be a tad aggressive like your other 2 corals).

yea it would be fine. just don't put it in 3 in case you forget to top off you don't want a burnt out heater if it's sitting at the minimum line in there.

Blastomussa are really expensive over here, I'm not sure about over in the states. +1 to the Duncan idea, they are great and really reward you for keeping them by growing swiftly, I put a 3 headed frag in one of my tanks in January, it now has 18 heads.

qb6fire said:
Should i add the fish i want before i add my corals?

Yes! Add one fish every 3 weeks in the begining and make sure your levels stay steady and that you dont have a spike. I would add corals after the 1st fish does well for a week or so

Thank you for the fast reply hope to have my first fish tomorow!!!

If the lfs has 2 small clowns that's it or ill get my firefish

I would get the fire fish first. If he is introduced into the system and his bioload doesnt shock the system or cause any spikes then awesome, 3 weeks later i would suggest adding both clowns at the same time to avoid agression. Problem with adding 2 fish at the same time to a brand new system is that their bioload could cause spiles and kill them both. I dont like to risk that stuff

Thats what i will do thanks for the heads up! All fish stay alive is my goal

this all depends on how you cycled the tank, if you dosed to 3-4 ppm ammonia & it drops in 24 hrs you can pretty much add your full bioload right off the bat.. but i wouldn't recommend putting in clowns before a firefish anyways. they'll claim the tank & terrorize the little guy.

Just got home from the lfs with one firefish wich i saved monday :) so i had to get the lil guy...
I also picked up a small tester coral cant remember the name at the moment tho haha
picks to come in the next few hours

zoas i believe this is if i rememmber correctly
59499-albums9095-picture35920.jpg

firefish from a distance
59499-albums9095-picture35921.jpg

Up close and personal
59499-albums9095-picture35922.jpg

Up close and personal

Well the coral looks good after a hissy fit due to nosy hermits sane with flamethrower the firefish having his cave invaded by nosy hermits haha but he is eating pellets already as of now!

ok so just a slight bit of confusion... will the coral attach itself to the rock or will i have to glue it down? my hermit is to curious as to what is in its tank that it makes it close up and this last time knocked it off of it area just as i turned the lights out!

Yeah, hermits and snails can do that. Happened to mine pretty often, but having them on a plug like yours will help. They will eventually spread onto the rocks around them. There shouldn't be a need to glue the plug or the coral down. Just pin the frag plug between a couple rocks and you will be good to go.

U could keep chalices under that light. Mine barely need anylight. I keep them in the corner of my tank shaded. In my experience flourescent bulbs are best for them.

Back
Top Bottom