Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im a Bad Aquarium Person

Ok I got interested in saltwater aquariums a little over a year ago and got one setup with Christmas money, its only a 30gal and all it has is live rock, sand bottom, and one fish. I got him (a yellow tailed damsel) to start out with, planning on sending him back to the LFS and getting other fish later but...I just really love him So I pretty much forgot about updating the tank and for about a year ive just had this one damsel, and as you all know these guys are practically impossible to kill, so i havent been exactly...."on top of things" as far as water quality. Ive been busy, OK? Anyways, I'm starting to pay alot more attention to my tank again and was just wondering if I can add more fish without getting rid of my little blue damsel (I really do like him) even though he is so accustomed to having his own tank all to himself. (I know they are kind of territorial.) If so, how do I go about adding new fish when my damsel is so used to the tank, and what can I get that has fairly easy maintenance?

Old 04-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
You just have to look at what you add. I ended up adding a carpenter's wrasse to my yellow damsel and blue damsel... And I have a 32 gallon hex too...

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

a percula clown fish would be good. i had a damsel and clown the same size together when i started my tank. or some gobies or firefish lots of character i think their pretty easy i have never had any problem with them.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I have looked at what fish are compatible, I'm just worried that my damsel will have already established his "territory" and be really aggressive...is it safe to just add a clown or whatever when my yellow tail is just swimming around in there or should I take him out first and then put him back in after the new fish??
Old 04-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I would be worried also. I would rearrange the tank to confuse him when adding another fish. Sometimes that is enough.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

your yellow tailed blue damsel is definately one of the more passive damsels, you may have good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are able to put the damsel in a sperate container(some use plastic spaghetti strainer floated in main tank) while you acclimate the new fish. As Fluff said move the aquascaping around.

This will allow the new fish to find its way around in peace. Then when you do release the damsel back into the tank he will need to get accustomed to the landscaping and will leave the new fish alone(at least for a little bit)

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

My first fish was a yellow-tail damsel also. He had the tank to himself for a while before I added other fish.

He is the smallest fish in the tank and I didn't have a problem adding the other fish in my sig. But as you can see, most of my other fish are semi-aggressive and territorial themselves, but they all get along. The YT keeps them all in check whenever they act up.
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
taz291819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

do you think a pair of percula clowns could hold their own?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com