I'm a little confused, can you help me ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambulocetus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I have just started up a 29gal tank (up about 4 weeks). I was told to use about 5-6 inches of sand. I have a lot of lr (i get it cheap as i work in a petstore!) and i hope to have a mix of a couple fish, some nice anenomes and a couple corals when it is all finally finished. However I had a couple of questions

1. How does a dsb work, surely under 5 inches of sand there is very little water movement?

2. Should i ever stir it or not, i have a couple hermit crabs and some snails crusing around at the moment?

3. Power heads - what is the truth about these? I have a Manum 350 canister, which has a reasonably fast flow coming out of the return - do i really need a powerhead too? (I don't want to skimp, yet i am a student and don't have loads of spare change to throw around )

4. Finally a proetin skimmer - I am thinking about an Aqua C remora, i can't really afford it, but everyone seems to say it is the best there is, and it is easy to maintain - is this true? i am looking for easy maintenance - it absolutley CANNOT leak or be prone to leaking as the tank is at my girlfriend's house and they would not be pleased if i swamp the floor!

5. What temp, i have heard anything from 70 - 85, right now we are at 80

I know that there are some answers to these questions (i spent about 8 hours trawling through previous postings) but i would like clear definitive answers if possible!!! Thank you so much, this is an outstanding website!
Jonathan

1. Sand-dwelling organisms move it around.. snails, worms, pods etc.

2. Nope, let the critters do it. If you don't have any then pick up a detrivore pack which includes the above animals.

3. You should aim for 10x total volume although more is better.

4. Can't 100% guarantee it not leaking no matter which you go for, but some fair much better than others. Others can chime in on American brands since I can't comment there.

5. 80 is a good temp. The important thing is to keep it constant.

6. Welcome to AA! :)

No one here like the Skilter but it works. Noisy but it'll do the job, I would recommend if you get a skilter then do the mod right to begin with, lowers the noise level and actually makes it work a little better.

What is the story behind canister filters, I have noticed people suggesting that they can do more harm then good as they collect detrius - or is it only a problem if you skimp on cleaning them?

Similiar situation...

I am in the same boat as you ambulocetus where I am starting a 30g and would like to find the best route to start a marine tank with minimal cost.

I just bought a used tank and trying to establish cleaning it and getting new equipment such as a better filter, skimmer, and other stuff. Please let me know if u find some useful tips.

Thanks

If you have any form of mechanical filtration you have to clean it very often. Any matter that collects in the media will rot in it and cause water problems.

canister filters are fine. Sometimes they are harder or more af a hastle to clean, so the get cleaned less often than they should. Which is why people reccomend a sump. They are easier to maintain, and therefore tend to get looked after more regularly.

A great way to save a little bit of cash... check out http://amekaaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=_SECONDS under their factory seconds. They don't have the remora, but they have CPR's bakpak. I got mine from there and was very happy with the price and the quality of my skimmer. But I would recommend getting the preskimmer and bubbletrap (have noticed that mine would work better if I had added that to my purchase- now I have to wait a bit for my bank account to give me the go ahead).

thanks for that skimmer link. I picked up a red sea prizm deluxe for my first tank...now kinda regretting it. it's still clean and unused...I may put it on my Q-tank if it's needed...otherwise I'll eBay it and get half my money back.

Thank you all, this is a great community, wished i had joined it years ago when i first gave sw a shot!! If someone knows of a good article regarding deep sand beds (preferably the acctual science behind them) i would really appreciate it. This is probbly the biggest difference from when i did sw 5-10 years ago, and the biologist in me wanted just to see how it came into use! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom