Im a newbe with some qestions on my SW AQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon wall mounted aquarium 34 x 70 x 4, I have two Fluval u1 filters and heater. On day one I added my live sand and my fresh water and my instant ocean. on day tree I added my cured live rock now its day 4 and I have sand that sticks onto my live rock, its clumps of sand. I moved them around and a lot came off but I still have some. What can I do to get it off. I have been cleaning the filters twice a day. Thanks

it will come off eventually. just let the tank cycle and the water clear up. btw, you should not add salt directly to the aquarium. mix the salt and water in a separate container and then add it.

it will come off eventually. just let the tank cycle and the water clear up. btw, you should not add salt directly to the aquarium. mix the salt and water in a separate container and then add it.

ok thanks for the info do you know when I should test my water, and when I should add of test fish, which ones? Thanks

a proper cycle can take a month. i would get a saltwater test kit right away and see if you are getting any ammonia from the live rock and sand. how much rock did you add btw?
i would not add any living creatures to the tank until it's completely cycled.

as for which fish to add....that's going to be somewhat difficult. you'll have to make sure the fish you buy will be able to turn around in that tank once they get large.

a proper cycle can take a month. i would get a saltwater test kit right away and see if you are getting any ammonia from the live rock and sand. how much rock did you add btw?

ok i have a masters test kit I will test for the ammonia . thanks

as for which fish to add....that's going to be somewhat difficult. you'll have to make sure the fish you buy will be able to turn around in that tank once they get large.
ok I have a masters test kit i will test the ammonia. Thanks

ok..but how much rock did you add? how much sand? do you have any pics you can share? it sounds like a very interesting tank for sure.

img_1373641_0_d358e0bd1d877341dab8ec7ebff20793.jpg

img_1373641_1_2bfeb0369867a92016bd558ed893eaac.jpg

img_1373641_2_44e36c01b151d15b6669025b2aaff567.jpg

img_1373641_3_549fc1e79f5619801089c5c27360d712.jpg

img_1373641_4_d29793570605278d78232ea2adb63fe5.jpg

img_1373641_5_43606e5c82781960477a57700d8e11a3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you might not see any ammonia because you have a very small amount of live rock and sand for the total volume of the tank. if you don't plan on putting any more rock in, you might need to add an ammonia source. some folks use a raw shrimp from the supermarket for this purpose. let the shrimp rot in the tank water and you'll get a spike.
i would add a bit more rock and see if the die-off from the rock spikes the ammonia for you.

that system would probably be better as a reef only then to have fish in it, it is very narrow and not many fish would be able to turn around in it. maybe a clow would or some small gobys

anyways i would suggest more live rock, it no only adds filtration but it adds a nice look if its all setup with caves and such

you might not see any ammonia because you have a very small amount of live rock and sand for the total volume of the tank. if you don't plan on putting any more rock in, you might need to add an ammonia source. some folks use a raw shrimp from the supermarket for this purpose. let the shrimp rot in the tank water and you'll get a spike.
i would add a bit more rock and see if the die-off from the rock spikes the ammonia for you.
I want to add about 5lb is that good and the dude at the pet store said that the rock is cure. My ammonia is at 0 right now. And what do you think about the tank?

20 lbs would be the minimum you would want, ideally you would want closer to 40 total lbs.

You don't have to buy all live rock, you can get dry base rock and save some $$$.

Back
Top Bottom