I'm finally starting a Salt Water Tank...what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annie/Aggie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm about to purchase a 210 gal tank that is "reef ready". The guy is giving me the tank, Sump, glass lid and sand substrate. (At one time it had a nice looking reef in it if it's the same tank I saw pics of. )
Now then, I think I understand what "reef ready" means but I have a few more questions.

1) Will his substrate wich has been dry for awhile be any good to me?

2) What else do I need to add to what I'm getting so that I can start to cycle it without fish?

Thanks for any input here, I have tried to look it up but am just getting more confused. :)

1) Yes. Just be sure to rinse the substrate thoroughly.
2) Copious amounts of water flow and live rock. Monitor and keep calcium and carbonate hardness levels within acceptable ranges: Ca 400-500ppm, KH 8-10degrees.
After the water no longer tests positive for ammonia nor nitrites, add snails and hermit crabs.

Actually, if it were me, I would not be worried at all about calicum or carbonate hardness during the cycling process, nor really be too concerned with it afterwards unless I had sps corals. Salt mix will, under normal circumstances, keep those levels where you want them with regular water changes.

To cycle without fish, simply throw 3-4 raw cocktail shrimp in the tank after all the water, rock and whatever filtration you are using is on there.
Then start to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels. First the ammonia will spike, then the nitrite, then they should drop to zero and you will have a big nitrate reading. Do a 50% water change (or more). Then you are good to add fish. This cycling process usually takes around a month.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15 - - fishless cycling.

Reef ready means it has drilled overflow boxes within the tank. What kinda lights? Huge thing if you are doing reef. Just 'cause its got overflow boxes you don't HAVE to do reef. But, do it anyway IMO.

Good luck and stay in touch.

By the way, you can ditch the glass tops. No good for temperature and oxygen issues. You getting pumps and stuff too. What are you getting?

I agree with glass tops as many that have had them have had temp and ph problems. I`m also a fan of controling calcium and other factors in your tank with PWC`s.

Thanks for the heads up on the glass tops. I haven't seen it yet except a picture so am not sure what kind of sump or anything yet, I'm so excited. I agree with you about the "huge project" for a reef tank since I've been looking at the cost , ouch, Can you have just a small reef or do you have to go with the whole thing. It's most likely I'll be starting without one now that I know I can, can it be added as I go along?
All I knew about "reef ready" was that it had holes already but didn't know what they are for yet so thanks for that explanation, I know who to pick on for advice to set it up LOL
I'll keep you posted after I pick it up tonite on what everything is so that I can ask more specific questions.
Thanks

You dont have to start off reef. You can start as a FOWLR or FO. The bigger the better on size esp. a reef tank. We are here to help.

Good luck. Let's talk about lights when you're ready. Therein lies the fish only or reef choice - and whether you want to spend maybe $200-500 now, then later want reef and have to spend another $600- 1200 again. (Actual mileage may vary :roll: )

The point is that you might want to think this thing out, discuss, read, discuss some more, then read again before you commit either way. That way you don't need to buy both lights over time, just the one you really want. :wink:

Thanks
Sorry to take so long getting back here but this has kept me very busy just learning how to be a plumber LOL
Actually I'm going to build a sort of wide pyramid shaped centre piece of live rock and would like some invertabrates and peacefull fish. I'm still looking into the different types . I would like some anemones (or whatever it is ) that look like tubes growing on the rock if possible. I'm not sure if you call that FOWLR or ??? Now is the best time to discuss lights so let's get started, what do you suggest? I happen to live very close to a fantastic LFS that sells live coral and has a beautiful frag farm, there are so many choices it's a good job I have to wait a month to cycle so I can research all of it. I figure about 15 or so fish ranging up to 6" or less, I guess the light doesn't matter much to the fish but I definetly want some clams if I can.
I'm still short a protein skimmer so any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.
The tank is up and running, PH is good, temp is good and salinity is good, it's been 48 hours and the water is nice and clear. When should I expect a change on any of that other than that required to cycle it?
I'm sorry to go on but I have so many questions. I also keep forgetting to ask ....does the pipe running INTO my sump have to be above water level? The pump I ended up getting cycles at 2400 gal an hour.

From my experience, I get all my equipment online. I have found it quite a bit cheaper.
I use:
thatpetplace.com
drsfosterandsmith.com
premiumaquatics.com
There are a bunch of others, but those are the three I mainly use. I would check those site and compare prices, you might be surprised. I use my LFS for livestock and emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom