Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
I'm gonna go for it.

Ok i've decided to quit being so darn cheap and go for it.
I have a 80 gallon acrylic tank sitting in my garage. I want to make it a saltwater tank.
I just wanted to know.
whats the salt per galon ratio?
and is it hard to keep anemone?
What does live rock do?
I know i need crushed coral for substrate. but why?
What i want to keep in the tank is clown fish and a dog face puffer and some tiger fish. can those be put all together?
I have more questions too. thanks folks.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: I'm gonna go for it.

"whats the salt per galon ratio?"

Usually about 1/2 cup per gallon

"and is it hard to keep anemone? "

Depends - maturity of tank and lighting are key as is species.

"What does live rock do?"

Provides food farm for some fish and a place to culture the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitirates and ultimately to nitrates.

" know i need crushed coral for substrate. but why?"

Helps maintain pH, provides surface for those bacteria again, slowly dissolves acting as a pH buffer.

"What i want to keep in the tank is clown fish and a dog face puffer and some tiger fish. can those be put all together?"

Haven't had the last two - someone else might be able to tell you more
I have more questions too. thanks folks.

It is well worth your time and effort to read, read read, ask ask ask, before making hasty decisions. Impulse buys in Saltwater do not always work out as you would like them to.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #3
zacdl

Salt Per Gallon depends on the salt, but its around 1/2 cup per gallon.

The bags of salt should say how many gallons it makes.

Anemonaes dont live long in captivity (so I hear) And many people dont reccomend them because they stink really bad when they die.

Live rock is decoration for one, its also your primary bio filtration. Its hiding places, etc as well.

You DONT want Crushed Coral for substrate, you want sand (preferably Araganite (spelling))

No you cant keep all those fish together. Trigger fish are really aggressive, puffers need larger tanks.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Salt per Gallon is in most cases 1/2 cup per gallon.

Live rock is rock with algae and bacterial growth. It's a beneficial filtering agent for your tank.

You should start reading up on the saltwater hobby. The public library has tons of good books on it. I should also mention the hobby is time consuming, expensive, and worth it! Good luck!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brodie:
You forgot addictive.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah, addictive also. Crack is probablly less addictive than saltwater aquariums
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Isn't that the truth! In fact I remember one of our friends joking with family about how much we spent on just one fish. Later down the line we sold him our 55. 3 months later he upgraded to an in wall 150g...he spends so much he has to sugar coat everything he tells his wife that he spends!!!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you all sugarcoat prices too? My girlfriend is always asking how much everything costs me, I usually tell her about 50% of the truth.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not sugarcoat. I just had to buy my wife a $14,000 tennis braclet. We are even now.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't my husband is into saltwater too. Hes usually skeeming me. He will say "look what they have, that would be perfect for your tank"...course it's always MY tank when it "needs" something lol.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com