Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats annoying, but learn to be patient from their mistake. Get the cycle started. You can just fill the tank halfway and put the rocks in. This way you don't have to waste saltwater for cycling purposes. Its not much of a savings, but every penny is worth saving IMO.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

im trying to be patient, still waiting for the other half of my rock to come. got my filter socks in the mail the other day, hydrometer came today, should have mag float and a syphon coming in the next few days, i have about half my sand, and still need to get my test kit.

i'm thinkin to go about 2 inches deep with an aragonite sand, you guys think that is an ok depth?

with all this waiting i've been doing, i was able to work a deal with my brother in law, i traded him one of my new rocks for a live rock from his tank. so once i add water i will get my live rock from his tank, along with a cup full of sand to help with my cycle process.

you guys think i should stick a damsel or something in there too?

i have read a lot about cycling with fish and without. seems like the process goes faster with a fish, but sometimes the fish doesn't make it.

what do you guys do? what would you recommend?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #13

i also just got a koralia evo 750 powerhead. i got it used from my bro in law, for 20 bucks. he didnt need it with his new setup.

it still has some purple coralline on it, but its dried up. should i leave it on or try to clean it off? will it come back once its in the water again?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #14

im going to get my water in a day or 2, to start my cycle, i will be getting a live rock and a cup of sand to seed my tank from my brothers tank, i also read something about wringing his filter out into mine or scraping some gunk out of it to add to mine to help get the process going.

does that sound like a good idea?

if i do all that should i still stick a damsel in there for the cycle? if i do how many should i use for the cycle in my 90 gallon tank?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn85
im going to get my water in a day or 2, to start my cycle, i will be getting a live rock and a cup of sand to seed my tank from my brothers tank, i also read something about wringing his filter out into mine or scraping some gunk out of it to add to mine to help get the process going.

does that sound like a good idea?

if i do all that should i still stick a damsel in there for the cycle? if i do how many should i use for the cycle in my 90 gallon tank?
Lots of questions... I personally think the shrimp only method for cycling is the best. I have cycled three tanks now and it seems to be the most thorough cycle with no random spikes.

As far as sand or lr in your sump, I recommend it highly! I prefer mud and frags of lr that are too small to put in your display tank, but I also have a refugium which is great for reef, not needed for fowlr. Lr rubble will benefit your tank though so if there is a small compartment, fill it.

If you are going to cycle your tank, sand from your brothers tank is not needed. Sand as well as rock will become live through the cycle. You may also get some critters or bacteria you may not want as well. Sand is very good at hiding things.

Oh another thing I learned, what did you clean your tank with? Be sure there is no remnants and make sure you spray it out or clean it out with Ro/Di water as tap can have all sorts of contaminants as I learned the hard way. I lost several inverts due to the way I was cleaning my filter sock and my refugium.

Hope this helps some. Good luck and remember you have to have some serious patience in this hobby.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Lots of questions... I personally think the shrimp only method for cycling is the best. I have cycled three tanks now and it seems to be the most thorough cycle with no random spikes.

As far as sand or lr in your sump, I recommend it highly! I prefer mud and frags of lr that are too small to put in your display tank, but I also have a refugium which is great for reef, not needed for fowlr. Lr rubble will benefit your tank though so if there is a small compartment, fill it.

If you are going to cycle your tank, sand from your brothers tank is not needed. Sand as well as rock will become live through the cycle. You may also get some critters or bacteria you may not want as well. Sand is very good at hiding things.

Oh another thing I learned, what did you clean your tank with? Be sure there is no remnants and make sure you spray it out or clean it out with Ro/Di water as tap can have all sorts of contaminants as I learned the hard way. I lost several inverts due to the way I was cleaning my filter sock and my refugium.

Hope this helps some. Good luck and remember you have to have some serious patience in this hobby.
I agree with cycling with an uncooked shrimp. I did the pure ammonia method and I screwed it up by not measuring right. Cost me extra cycle time. It is easier with the shrimp.

As for sand in the refugium, it is not needed. If you have the right amount in your display, it serves no benefit and makes it more difficult to clean. I run a bare bottom and it is very simple to siphon out buildup with a piece of airline tubing.

As for "If you are going to cycle"...you have to cycle your tank or you will have your fish die basically. But, I would suggest taking some sand from your brother's tank to help your tank cycle. It will get some of the bacteria in your system and you will hopefully get some neat critters like pods in your tank.

Cleaning your tank and equipment with RO/DI is very good advise as well. No chemicals should ever be near your tank, you can crash it and have to start all over and be out alot of money. It will also prevent unwanted things from your tap water from getting into your tank. I have spring water for my home tap and all kinds of things leach into my system, it actually killed off about 500 bucks worth of coral when I got my 55 gallon up and running originally due to chemicals leaching into my system from a farm right above my spring. An RO/DI unit is the #1 purchase anyone can make in this hobby.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
As for sand in the refugium, it is not needed. If you have the right amount in your display, it serves no benefit and makes it more difficult to clean. I run a bare bottom and it is very simple to siphon out buildup with a piece of airline tubing.
+1 Keep the maintenance as easy a possible for long-term success.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance

+1 Keep the maintenance as easy a possible for long-term success.
+1! Yes maintenance is key and the easier it is, the more your tank will flourish.

On a side note, bare bottoms are really cool, well unique, but in my opinion it's almost a little more work. You really have to keep up on your siphoning and you wanna make sure your "dead" areas of water flow don't cause your dietrus end up under existing live rock. A well kept up bare bottom, especially since ur already planning a fowlr, would be a cool idea. May be a bit premature, but do you have any ideas for your stock?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
+1! Yes maintenance is key and the easier it is, the more your tank will flourish.

On a side note, bare bottoms are really cool, well unique, but in my opinion it's almost a little more work. You really have to keep up on your siphoning and you wanna make sure your "dead" areas of water flow don't cause your dietrus end up under existing live rock. A well kept up bare bottom, especially since ur already planning a fowlr, would be a cool idea. May be a bit premature, but do you have any ideas for your stock?

I believe he was talking about a bar bottom in fuge. I want to do that too with my fuge.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #20

as of now i have 100lb of base rock from reefcleaners and about 50lb of crushed coral sand,nother 20 or 30lb of live sand when i get my water, im thinking i may put some small rock chunks in the sump, just because i have them and no place in the display for them. other than that i am planning on running my sump with nothing in it except my pump until i get my protein skimmer,

as for my stock list, i need to do some more reading on compatibility but i'm thinking a couple clowns, a blue tang, i really want a naso, and maybe some chromis. i've been keeping track of neat fish that i find on the web but i think i need to get closer to that point before i decide for sure.

here is an update pic, not sure if i like the rock setup yet.
Attached Images

Tags
advice, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com