Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

not at all, i'd rather do it right than wonder what happened later. that website is great i found some other styles of fish that i really liked on there. i like that they give you some info on the fish

Old 07-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah it's a great research website. I use it when I'm at one of my Lfs bc they are always saying, "oh yeah that will work and yeah it's few compatible" when sometimes its not. Helps with the impulse buys.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #33

got my water today, tank is up and running. the guy at my lfs gave me a baggy of live sand out of his show tank and he also gave me some ammonia to get the cycle going.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #34

i got too much saltwater today, how long is it good for? or should i throw it away?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well done. Saltwater doesn't go bad, but the next time you use it I would make sure it's mixed we'll. Salt tends to separate a bit.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #36

tank has been up and running for a few days now, i got a few pounds of nice purple rock in there. everything is looking good so far.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #37

hey guys im starting to see what i think is a diatom bloom, im getting a brownish fuzz all over everything, should i do a water change soon? this is something ive searched a lot and some people say dont do it for a few weeks to a month in the first part of the cycle and some say do it every week. what would be best? any people tried both ways? also a friend of mine had to yellow tail damsels in his tank he didnt want anymore because they were picking on his tang so he gave them to me, they seem to be pretty happy in there.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn85
hey guys im starting to see what i think is a diatom bloom, im getting a brownish fuzz all over everything, should i do a water change soon? this is something ive searched a lot and some people say dont do it for a few weeks to a month in the first part of the cycle and some say do it every week. what would be best? any people tried both ways? also a friend of mine had to yellow tail damsels in his tank he didnt want anymore because they were picking on his tang so he gave them to me, they seem to be pretty happy in there.
Good, diatom blooms are good. Have you tested your water lately?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #39

yes, ammonia was 1.0, nitrite 0, ph 7.9 and the nitrate was bright yellow in the test tube. my brother in law couldnt find the card but he said it was good if it was yellow and not orange. i just ordered my test kit a few days ago so im borrowing his for now.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Showing ammonia is good, you want to go through the cycle though and show nitrites and then nitrates. When you start showing nitrates, your cycle is pretty much done. No ammonia, or nitrites, Low nitrates and balanced ph and you will be ready for stock. Your on your way.

Tags
advice, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com