im just getting started i need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cool thank you, it truly is for dummies, made perfect sense to me! my ammonia is still at 1 today, its been there for about 3 days since i did my first test. is it possible it could have spiked in the first 2 days and it now coming down really slow? or do you think it hasnt spiked yet?

You may want to get a different brand such as Salifert. I was told API are not good for SW. I have one myself (the reef kit) and kept getting readings of 20 ppm for calcium, even after I would add more calcium. I installed a calcium reactor subsequently and still got that same result. I got a different test kit and my levels were fine. Go figure.

If u want easy kits try the Hanna herd nothing but good stuff

Well either way you want your ammonia to hit at least 3 I would shoot a bit higher around 4or 5 if you can. I've never used fish to cycle my tanks, so I don't know if they can survive that, but that's gonna get your cycle going right IMO.

i checked out those kits, i already ordered the ocean master so i'll see how it works and maybe have to get somethin else later. im going to keep an eye on my ammonia for a couple days and see what happens. if it doesnt move i guess ill pull the fish and use some ammonia

i took a water sample in today and the guy at my lfs said my brothers test kit basically didnt work at all, and my ammonia was 0, trites 0 and trates 1. he basically said with the ammonia and sand that he gave me my tank cycled already, does that sound weird? seems like it went really fast. he had a drip test kit and a strip kit and both kits showed same results.. he did say to give it another 3 weeks or so to let the brown and green algae come and go and do a water change and bring another sample in then i should be ready to stock.

You can test it by adding a small amount of ammonia and seeing if it goes through the stages. Add ammonia, you should show trites, then trates. I would do that just to make sure. Just seemed to cycle very fast. That's what I would do at least, and then if it does show each stage, make sure you have to keep adding ammonia to keep that bacteria alive until you add stock. Good luck

If you can put your fish in a QT for 24 hrs and dose the DT to 4 ppm ammonia it should be gone the next day. Amm and Trites should all be converted to trates within 24 when your tank is truly ready.

Ingy said:
If you can put your fish in a QT for 24 hrs and dose the DT to 4 ppm ammonia it should be gone the next day. Amm and Trites should all be converted to trates within 24 when your tank is truly ready.

+1 I agree completely with this. I would def make sure before you add any stock.

ill give that a try, if i can catch them tomorrow, my brother in law has a breeder box i will stick em in his tank and see what happens

thanks! i appreciate the help, ill stop at the hardware store and see if i can find some ammonia tomorrow after work.

Brandyn85 said:
thanks! i appreciate the help, ill stop at the hardware store and see if i can find some ammonia tomorrow after work.

For sure man, anytime.

Back
Top Bottom