Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

im just getting started i need some advice!

ok guys im totally new to the whole saltwater thing so i need some help. Please tell me what you think and sorry ahead of time for the lengthy post.

im getting my tank from my brother in law because he is upgrading to a custom built 270 gallon tank. I'll be getting my tank in the next 2 or 3 days when his new one is set up, it is a 90 gallon tank which measures 48x24x18 i believe. along with it i will get the sump, pump and stand. I know my brother in law will be available to help out but i don't want to rely on him to be there all the time, and this is all stuff i want to learn anyway.

My goal is to end up with a FOWLR tank, so please tell me if im missing something or if i should do something different.

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching and heres what ive come up with. in order to get started i need to buy Lights, sand, rock, powerhead(s), and a heater, and then this is where i need help..

I'm trying to figure out in what order to do things, and if i need to get everything before water or not. as i have a second child being born in about a week and my wife will probably kill me if i go out and spend 500 buck at a time on this thing... so i will probably have to space my purchases out by a couple weeks

should i get a protein skimmer first or can i add that later?

can i get sand then water and add rock after the water or should i buy sand and wait for water until i get rock?

what should i put in the sump? i read a forum that said not to do bio balls? is that true?

I found a 260W light on amazon for a little over $100 will it work ok?
(2) x 65W Fluorescent 12,000k White Daylight PL Lamps
(2) x 65W Blue Actinic PL Lamps
(4) Pairs, 8 Blue-Moonlight LEDs

i also saw koralia had pretty good reviews on their power heads, should i run one bigger one or multiple smaller gph ones?

thanks ahead of time, i have a feeling i will be spending a lot of time on this site. again please tell me what you guys think and if im way off.

i just want to do my research before i start so things go smoothly.

thanks again!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does your sump look like? You don't need bioballs since you will have live rocks. Look into skimmers and growing macroalgae in your sump.

Fill your tank with water.
Get all of your rocks (lay them on top of eggcrate if you don't want to scratch the bottom of your tank).
Cycle your tank.

Sand and lights can wait.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lots of great info here should answer most of your questions
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

i dont remember exactly how the sump is set up im still waiting to get it. ill try to take some pictures of everything when i get it in a few days. im thinking now about just getting all my rock annd letting it set in some totes until i get my water and sand maybe in a week or two.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

hey guys, well things have been moving slow in terms of getting my tank set up. i got it about 2 weeks ago, and repainted the stand, spent a few hours cleaning and repainting the back of the tank. got the stand and tank set up where it will sit in my living room. ordered a light(2-Fluorescent bulbs, 2 actinic bulbs and 8 blue leds). ordered 100 lbs of dry base rock from reef cleaners(still waiting for that to arrive) my brother in law is going to give me an established rock from his tank to get my rock seeded.

along with the tank i got a HOB over flow running 2 flex lines down into an eshopps model 200 wet/dry filter, he removed the bioballs and had the flex lines running into a sock filter and i believe he had some rock rubble below the sock, and in the second chamber is where the return pump(GX-2400), he also had his protien skimmer in there which i will be getting in the near future. once my rock arrives, im planning on getting sand, and water, and hoping to get my tank up and running to start the cycle. im in the process of researching an ro/di but for the initial start up im going to buy water from the lfs.

should i put any sand or rock inside the sump?

should i just let the tank run and do weekly water changes or do you guys recommend i do anything different.

any input is greatly appreciated.

i've been doing tons of research but everyone tends to do things a little different and i just want to be sure i'm not doing anything wrong.

here is how she looks now.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems like you're on the right track.

You can put sand or rocks inside your sump. It wouldn't make a difference if you put some or all sand/rocks inside your sump or display tank.

The longest part is cycling the tank with rocks inside.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #7

thanks! what do you guys think about filter socks? 100 micron? 200 micron? should i run each of my overflow lines into their own sock or both into 1 sock? or does it even matter?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like big socks at 100microns. 1-2 socks is your option. If you want to run 2 socks together at the same time, then buy 4. This makes it super easy to change the old ones out for new one without interrupting the system for too long.

I think its a really good idea to change out the socks at least once per week. Reason being that the waste will break down into dissolved waste and run past the 100microns. If you're not overfeeding or overstocked or the sock is not too small, then the sock shouldn't clog up in a weeks time.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #9

i just ordered a couple 100 micron socks, i will run both lines into 1 sock for now and see how things go. just waiting for my rock to arrive in the mail now.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #10

well i'm kind of pissed, i've been waiting on my rock to show up for a couple days. i come home from work and there is a box on my porch. my first thought was "that's a small box for 100lb of rock".... looked at the label, package 1 of 1, 53lbs. so i emailed john at reefcleaners to see whats going on since i never got a tracking number so i havent been able to tell where it was or if there was a second box somewhere.. He tells me they accidently only shipped me 50lb. then asked if i still wanted the second box! yes! that's what i ordered and paid for! so now i have to wait for the second half of my rock order to come before i can do anything....

i haven't heard a single negative thing about them, but my first experience with these guys hasn't been too great

Tags
advice, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com