Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are canister filters that you can use with an overflow, I have a sump on mine. It is nice cause my protein skimmer and thermometer are hidden in the sump. The link to the LR that you posted is the same LR that I have used in my tank. I have pics posted on other threats if of the setup if you want to take a look at it. My total cost so far for my setup has been around $2000. I'm sure you can get away with less depending on what you purchase.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is there anything I could use that doesn't require an overflow? Like a Biowheel filter? Sorry for all the questions guys there's just so much stuff to learn.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sure, you can use a HOB filter, but if you are planning on doing a reef tank you really should consider a sump or canister, they are much more efficient than a HOB. My sump filters roughly 600GPH.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know a guy in my town that uses several HOB's for his 125G FOWLER
Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #15

Alright cool. I may do an HOB filter to start to save some money I'm only 16 and don't have that great of a job. Is it impossible to have a reef tank with an HOB filter?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think it is impossible, probably harder though. I have a FOWLER setup so I'm really not the one to give advice on a reef tank right now (plan on starting one in the future though!) You can get a canister filter for anywhere between $100 - $200. Check out this link and see if any are in your price range.
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Canister Filters
Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

BTW that Dr. Foster and Smith website is a wealth of information as far as comparing items and they have some good articles also.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #18

Hmmm yeah some of those are in my price range but where are they placed? Are the hung on the back of the tank?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

No they would be placed underneath the tank and hoses would run from the overflow (of course you need a tank with an overflow to use the canister). If you are not going to use a stand a HOB filter may be the way to go for you.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well there are always the hang on back skimmers. I think that everyone chooses sumps rather than. It is a good place to keep things out of sight... ie heaters, filter pads, skimmers, pumps, media, anything you can think of I bought mine with pre made baffles. Others like to build their own. I do like the DIY projects however I didnt have the time or the knowledge then to build my own sump. Also just getting a hang on back filter for a saltwater tank I do not recommend. My tank is a 75 as well that was pre-drilled for a reef setup. They are called Reef Ready tanks.. Most companies have them. I ordered my stand tank and sump and some other stuff off of Glasscages.com - Home . You can customize your own tank on their site. You just have to go pick it up when they come near your town with their truck. Kind of weird but its worth it in my opinion.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com