I'm new and could use some help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used One HOB filter (appropriate for size of tank) and one Skilter filter (once again for appropriate size tank) The skilter skims AND filters like a regular HOB. Then a bought a HOB skimmer sperately. Was very inexpensive and worked like a charm. Oh, and I also had two powerheads which were nice for placing IN the tank that would move sediment and water very nicely. Also they could be moved at anytime to change water flow if you were to have any algae outbreaks. I was breading Xenia, mushrooms, polyps, and bubble anemonies like no body's business in that tank. BTW - my tank was a 55g. Good Luck my friend and Have fun with it!!!

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I was wondering how hard is it to set up a canister filter? If it's not too hard I might do that instead of an HOB filter. Also is the canister filter going to be alot better then an HOB filter? I also read that with proper amount of LR and a protein skimmer extra filtration isn't needed. Is this true?

Canister filter is very easy to set up, search youtube.com for "canister filter" or "that fish place". They have an instructional video on how to set up a canister filter. Canister is much better than HOB IMO.

Ok, do I need an overflow for a canister filter? I found a cheap tank on Craigslist but I don't think it has an overflow. Can they be bought seperatley?

IMO 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR or BR and a skimmer is all you need for proper filtration. That is all I used for the first 7 yrs I had my reef.

IMO 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR or BR and a skimmer is all you need for proper filtration. That is all I used for the first 7 yrs I had my reef.
I would also need good water flow if I was going to go that route right? Also could i have corals if I did it this way?

Good flow is always good on a reef tank.Most of my corals in my tank was in that tank. I`ve since upgraded to a 125 with a 40 gallon refuge. But for 7 yrs LR and a skimmer is all I had.

What kind of lighting is recommended for a 55 gal tank with a few corals? Also do I have to purchase an RO/DI unit or can I purchase RO water somewhere?

The second post pointed to CC as a substrate...I would not reconmend CC if you are going to do a reef any time soon. You will get high nitrates with CC and it will be hard to remove later on down the rood. Get aragonite sand from your LFS. might be a little more expensive but way better,,,

Welcome to the 55G club... (y).... Like Melosu said all you need for filtration is good water flow like 2 Koralia a #2 and a #3 for water flow and a good HOB Skimmer no HOB Filter is needed. and RO/DI unit is a very good investment if you want to keep your algae levels down... Remove Phosphates, Nitrates and all the crap you don't want in the water... If you look at BRS they have good RO/DI units. When I started just like you I had all the same question so keep asking away.... No dumb question is a bad question here... Also welcome to AA... (y) You can also look at my Thread when I started I am still updating it till this day....

I also have a 75g and just added a diy sump. I think it is a great idea because it adds more water to your tank and the filtration is great. It's a whole lot cheaper to build it youself and you can make it as big as possible. With the overflow it gets that white film off the top of the water. Good luck with what ever you decide to go with

Back
Top Bottom