Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm new and could use some help.

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the world of saltwater and I'm wanting to start a setup. I don't really understand exactly everything that is needed to get started. I know you need a tank, stand, live rock, live sand, power heads(not really sure what they do), water, and salt, but filtration is what confuses me. What are skimmers and sump pumps? Are they necessary? Also for my first aquarium I was thinking of doing a 75g setup. Approximately how much is going to cost to get started? I'm sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about because really I don't so I was kinda hoping you guys could help me out.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used about 41/2 -5 inches of crushed coral in my 55g reef. You will then need at least 1/3 of the tank filled with live rock. You can used uncured live rock because it's cheaper but you will need several pieces of cured (live) rock to help the uncured rock get going. Skimmers are VERY important in saltwater tanks. They are designed to remove nastyness from the water that can be toxic to the fish and inverts. (Just wait till you empty the skimmer cup once you have it all going - green gooey slime) As far as cost,... it's hard to say but it will be expensive. Around here it's about 5.99 per lb of live rock. Youll also need sufficient lighting for it, and I would suggest a good R/O unit for good filtered water. Filtering is important and you can either go with the sump-pump route or you can read up around here and find other ways of filtration. 75g a sump is a good idea to me. In order to provide proper current in a big tank the powerheads are small units can be placed around to help the water keep moving. They provide no filtration (depending on the kind you get) and just help to keep the water stirred up. You'll need to also maintain the correct salinity (salt/water) ratio. Maintiain 1.012 - 1.024 useing a hydrometer. I supplemented Corallife Coral-Vital and also used calcium treatments to the water. (I had a bunch of inverts) My saltwater tank was one of the most fun hobbies I ever had, but I had to sell it when my son was born for space. Have fun with it and good luck!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I might add.... once you get it all up and going make sure to give the tank time to cycle before adding any life to it. Remember that your trying to SAVE life from the pet stores
Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #4

Saltwater Live Rock for Marine Aquariums: Fiji Standard Live Rock
Is this rock good? It's not too expensive.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

Also is a sump absolutely necessary? Is there a cheaper alternative?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Thanks I didn't see that.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #8

I read the article it helped alot thanks. I have another question though. What is overflow? Do I need an overflow unit on my tank?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are planning on having a sump or external source of filtrations under your tank or somewhere else you will need water to essentially overflow from your tank through pipes then into the separate aquarium. Then you have a pump that pumps water back into your main tank via PVC pipe or Flex tubing. Your choice. Pros and cons to both. A sump is a good idea as almost every thriving tank has some sort of protein skimmer. You can really go as simple or as complex as you want. Check out my setup on this site just look in the saltwater aquaria forum 75 gallon reverse build. My setup is fairly simple in comparison to others.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
If you are planning on having a sump or external source of filtrations under your tank or somewhere else you will need water to essentially overflow from your tank through pipes then into the separate aquarium. Then you have a pump that pumps water back into your main tank via PVC pipe or Flex tubing. Your choice. Pros and cons to both. A sump is a good idea as almost every thriving tank has some sort of protein skimmer. You can really go as simple or as complex as you want. Check out my setup on this site just look in the saltwater aquaria forum 75 gallon reverse build. My setup is fairly simple in comparison to others.
So what other options of filtration is there besides sumps? Also thanks for the info I'll check your tank out.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com