I'm new and could use some help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawkor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the world of saltwater and I'm wanting to start a setup. I don't really understand exactly everything that is needed to get started. I know you need a tank, stand, live rock, live sand, power heads(not really sure what they do), water, and salt, but filtration is what confuses me. What are skimmers and sump pumps? Are they necessary? Also for my first aquarium I was thinking of doing a 75g setup. Approximately how much is going to cost to get started? I'm sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about because really I don't so I was kinda hoping you guys could help me out.

I used about 41/2 -5 inches of crushed coral in my 55g reef. You will then need at least 1/3 of the tank filled with live rock. You can used uncured live rock because it's cheaper but you will need several pieces of cured (live) rock to help the uncured rock get going. Skimmers are VERY important in saltwater tanks. They are designed to remove nastyness from the water that can be toxic to the fish and inverts. (Just wait till you empty the skimmer cup once you have it all going - green gooey slime) As far as cost,... it's hard to say but it will be expensive. Around here it's about 5.99 per lb of live rock. Youll also need sufficient lighting for it, and I would suggest a good R/O unit for good filtered water. Filtering is important and you can either go with the sump-pump route or you can read up around here and find other ways of filtration. 75g a sump is a good idea to me. In order to provide proper current in a big tank the powerheads are small units can be placed around to help the water keep moving. They provide no filtration (depending on the kind you get) and just help to keep the water stirred up. You'll need to also maintain the correct salinity (salt/water) ratio. Maintiain 1.012 - 1.024 useing a hydrometer. I supplemented Corallife Coral-Vital and also used calcium treatments to the water. (I had a bunch of inverts) My saltwater tank was one of the most fun hobbies I ever had, but I had to sell it when my son was born for space. Have fun with it and good luck!

I might add.... once you get it all up and going make sure to give the tank time to cycle before adding any life to it. Remember that your trying to SAVE life from the pet stores :)

Also is a sump absolutely necessary? Is there a cheaper alternative?

I read the article it helped alot thanks. I have another question though. What is overflow? Do I need an overflow unit on my tank?

If you are planning on having a sump or external source of filtrations under your tank or somewhere else you will need water to essentially overflow from your tank through pipes then into the separate aquarium. Then you have a pump that pumps water back into your main tank via PVC pipe or Flex tubing. Your choice. Pros and cons to both. A sump is a good idea as almost every thriving tank has some sort of protein skimmer. You can really go as simple or as complex as you want. Check out my setup on this site just look in the saltwater aquaria forum 75 gallon reverse build. My setup is fairly simple in comparison to others.

If you are planning on having a sump or external source of filtrations under your tank or somewhere else you will need water to essentially overflow from your tank through pipes then into the separate aquarium. Then you have a pump that pumps water back into your main tank via PVC pipe or Flex tubing. Your choice. Pros and cons to both. A sump is a good idea as almost every thriving tank has some sort of protein skimmer. You can really go as simple or as complex as you want. Check out my setup on this site just look in the saltwater aquaria forum 75 gallon reverse build. My setup is fairly simple in comparison to others.
So what other options of filtration is there besides sumps? Also thanks for the info I'll check your tank out.

There are canister filters that you can use with an overflow, I have a sump on mine. It is nice cause my protein skimmer and thermometer are hidden in the sump. The link to the LR that you posted is the same LR that I have used in my tank. I have pics posted on other threats if of the setup if you want to take a look at it. My total cost so far for my setup has been around $2000. I'm sure you can get away with less depending on what you purchase.

Is there anything I could use that doesn't require an overflow? Like a Biowheel filter? Sorry for all the questions guys there's just so much stuff to learn.

Sure, you can use a HOB filter, but if you are planning on doing a reef tank you really should consider a sump or canister, they are much more efficient than a HOB. My sump filters roughly 600GPH.

I know a guy in my town that uses several HOB's for his 125G FOWLER

Alright cool. I may do an HOB filter to start to save some money I'm only 16 and don't have that great of a job. Is it impossible to have a reef tank with an HOB filter?

I don't think it is impossible, probably harder though. I have a FOWLER setup so I'm really not the one to give advice on a reef tank right now (plan on starting one in the future though!) You can get a canister filter for anywhere between $100 - $200. Check out this link and see if any are in your price range.
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Canister Filters

BTW that Dr. Foster and Smith website is a wealth of information as far as comparing items and they have some good articles also.

Hmmm yeah some of those are in my price range but where are they placed? Are the hung on the back of the tank?

No they would be placed underneath the tank and hoses would run from the overflow (of course you need a tank with an overflow to use the canister). If you are not going to use a stand a HOB filter may be the way to go for you.

Well there are always the hang on back skimmers. I think that everyone chooses sumps rather than. It is a good place to keep things out of sight... ie heaters, filter pads, skimmers, pumps, media, anything you can think of I bought mine with pre made baffles. Others like to build their own. I do like the DIY projects however I didnt have the time or the knowledge then to build my own sump. Also just getting a hang on back filter for a saltwater tank I do not recommend. My tank is a 75 as well that was pre-drilled for a reef setup. They are called Reef Ready tanks.. Most companies have them. I ordered my stand tank and sump and some other stuff off of Glasscages.com - Home . You can customize your own tank on their site. You just have to go pick it up when they come near your town with their truck. Kind of weird but its worth it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom