Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question im new :)) need some questions answered pl0x

hello, my name is shawn. i have recently bought a 75 gallon tank. i want to get it set up for a salt water tank. I recieved a rena filstar xp2 with the tank. The filter was used in a fresh water tank for about 3 months. Is it going to be ok for me to use that filter in the saltwater tank? If not is there anything i can change on it to make it work with salt water? Do canister filters have biofiltration along with them? If not can i use it and a hang on filter along with it to get the biofiltration or do i need more than that? Is that even going to be enough filtration for a 75 gallon tank even? If not what type of filter should i get and what is the website or store i can order it from? Protien skimmer any suggestions for that would also be nice with website preferbly the cheaper the better but i dont want junk How much live rock should i start with i was thinking around 45 to 60 pounds would do the trick and like 2 or 3 inches of sand. Can i use arganite or do i need to actually get a certain type of sand for it. And is there any good brands of salt mix for it i can get or are they basically all the same. any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated. i have read a few of the forums and i like what i c u guys seem like u can be fairly helpful. thanks again and pls help me.......

75 gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you use 75-100 lbs of live rock, then that should provide all the biofiltration you need. You don't need the cannister filters for additional biofiltration, but you can still use them without the media in them (bioballs, sponges, etc) to run chemical filtration like carbon, or other synthetic resins like Purigen, or phosphate removers.

Doesn't sound like you have a sump, so you're going to have to look for a hang-on-back (HOB) skimmer. There are just as many good ones as bad ones, and it seems that the cheaper ones are normally the ones people curse about. That doesn't mean the expensive ones are automatically good... but just be aware that "you get what you pay for" kind of seems to ring true with skimmers... along with lighting.

Salt mix... all salt mixes are not the same, and whether one brand is "better" than the other is like talking about religion, politics, and the war in Iraq all at the same time! So I'll just say do some research (search here and other forums for "salt mix" or something like that) and you'll get a general feel for what salts people like and why. My advice is find a good name brand that is readily available, and stick with it. Don't hop from one salt to another in search of the "holy grail" of salts.

Welcome aboard!

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
thank you. anybody else have any input for me
75 G. Sw tank

75 gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
For seven yrs I used LR and a skimmer for all my filtration needs. Also a few PH`s to push some water around. This is basically all you need IMO . On my 125 now I have LR, skimmer and a refuge. Read this for equipment needs.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote

75gal, biofiltration, renafilstar, saltwaternoob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com