I'm New! Quick Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HereFishyFishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I'm setting up a new 110 gallon tank and I'm getting some live sand today. I currently don't have anything in the aquarium except sand and saltwater.

The instructions it came with said to wash off the sand and dispose of the water before putting it in the tank. Wouldn't this get rid of the beneficial bacteria or any good creatures that would be in there?

Thanks for your help.

Btw I have this nice, white, reef sand in my tank and the livesand that just came in looks like regular beach sand. Oh well. The company was etropicals.com

Thanks for the info everyone.
Lol, if I got 200 pounds of liverock I wouldn't have any room for the fish.
I have 40 pounds of baserock, and I will be purchasing 40-80 pounds of liverock from liverocks.com, because I have heard good things about that company. I might then purchase more at a later time.

Should I wait for the cycle to settle with the introduction of livesand before I purchase the liverock?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Sorry for so many questions, is it possible to have a DSB on 1/2 the tank?
Will it still do its job?
Right now I have about 5 inches on one half and 2 on the other.

I actually prefer it this way, so 1/4 the tank isn't just filled with sand.
I guess I will add more sand though if this method won't work.

I also have an eheim canister filter and will get 40-80 pounds of liverock to go with my 40 pounds of baserock.

Right now I have about 5 inches on one half and 2 on the other.
That'll work. Should look pretty cool too.
I have 40 pounds of baserock, and I will be purchasing 40-80 pounds of liverock
200lbs total rock in a 110 is not too much rock. There will be plenty of room for fish - in fact they will be happier. There will be lots of room to mount corals too. 40-80lb LR and 40lb base rock is the bare minimum.
Suggestion: sell your ehiem on e-bay and buy more rock. You won't need it or want it.

I have 40 pounds of baserock, and I will be purchasing 40-80 pounds of liverock from liverocks.com, because I have heard good things about that company. I might then purchase more at a later time.

As soon as you add all that you will quickly realize that you have room for 250-300 lbs in a 110. I had 250lbs in a 100!

I also have an eheim canister filter and will get 40-80 pounds of liverock to go with my 40 pounds of baserock.

You don't have to sell it, but make sure you remove the media. Filter media traps waste and then filters you water with waste. Can you say, nitrate factory. Live rock is the best filtration money can buy.

I currently have 120lbs about in my 55gal There is plenty of room for the fish.. They seem alot happier with that amount of LR.. When I get my 240g long after I move I will be adding approx 600lbs of Keys LR from Liverocks.com And depending on how much it fills I might add even more than that... I would say 200lbs in a 110 gal is going to be quite nice and you might even want more LOL.. they say as a rule of thumb 1.5-2lbs per gallon

You don't have to sell it, but make sure you remove the media. Filter media traps waste and then filters you water with waste. Can you say, nitrate factory. Live rock is the best filtration money can buy.
Agreed for filtration all i have is LR and nothing else..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom