Im new with a ? about wood floors.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rench

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, Im new to the board and wanted to say hello and ask a ?. I just moved into a condo Im renting and its brand new never been lived in before. It has Brazilian wood floors and Im afraid the salt water might be messing up the floor. Does anyone have any experinces or advice for me.

Thanks

Is it real wood or Lamiate? either way it should....should have a laquer finish thats protects it. I wouldnt advice leaving pool of water on the floor but as long as you clean it up you wont have any issues.
BTW.....welcome !!!

Its real wood and also scratches very easy so the protective coating doesnt seem to work to well. I try to dry it up as quick as possible but I still see somthing that looks like a small stain somtimes.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :multi:

I don't have a salt tank, but I have a FW tank on a hardwood floor. (well, of course it's on a stand :wink: ) I buy one of those plastic dropcloth sheets at Home Depot and cover the floor around the tank as I do a water change. When I'm done, I pick up the edge of the plastic a little so that any water (just some very small puddles) runs to the other edge of the plastic where I can wipe it up with one of my fish-only towels. I give the plastic a quick dry, and then roll the plastic back up for next time.

To protect a wood floor I got a piece of thin plywood (1/4") wider and longer than the stand. I finish only the top of the plywood and then center the stand on the plywood. This protected the floor for scratches and dents and offered some protection from water.

I have woodern floor too. Instead of dropcloth, I used a large beach towel. Just carry the water carefully. So far, knock on wood, I have no problem.

I am lazy and i have wood floors at my house. I get trails of water on the floor from the aquarium to the kitchen sink. I think if you get it up in time, it won't do anything, It hasn't done anything to mine yet.

I think the worst part is when your wearing socks and step on a puddle that you forgot about.......... it is a very unsettling feeling

Jason said:
I think the worst part is when your wearing socks and step on a puddle that you forgot about.......... it is a very unsettling feeling

Oh yes, I agree! Getting your sock wet is definitely a drawback of a water change!

Back
Top Bottom