I'm not sure I'm getting the feeding right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not sure I'm getting the feeding right. Right now in the display tank I've got two clowns, shrimp, a goby and tiger shrimp pair, snails and some corals (zoos, torch, feather dusters...). So I understand to feed what they can eat in 5 minutes or was it 3 or 10? With the return pump still on food gets blown all over the tank so how do I know everyone is getting some? I don't want to over feed but I don't want them to starve either. Also I'm told to provide a variety so I have flake food, pellets, frozen brine and mysis. I've been told to feed the frozen stuff as a treat maybe once a week? I know the shrimp, peppermint and skunk/cleaner, love the pellets so do I go with a bit of that and flake daily then once a week add some frozen food?

Thanks...just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Steve

I think you are doing a fine job from what I read. I wouldn't stress too much over whether or not everyone is getting food. I would suggest turning your return pump off while you feed to keep the food from being sucked out and down into your sump.

My SW tanks were fed every other day and I fed pellet, mysis and nori. I never got into the marine flakes. The only thing I would really suggest doing is to thaw the frozen foods and rinse them in RO/DI or distilled water before putting them in the tank. This will help eliminate any unwanted nutrients getting into your system.

That is about right. I would probably stick with what they can eat in 3-5 minutes. It is good to feed a variety of foods. They fish will make sure that they are getting food when you put it in the tank. None of those fish or inverts are shy enough that they won't come out and get food. They will also eat some of the natural food in the tank as well.

I turn all pumps and powerheads off when I feed. It really cuts down on wasted food and keeps water quality up to par.

Also, I wouldn't make the frozen a treat - I'd make it "normal". It's the closest thing to their natural food, so that's why I make it the main thing. That said though, I do alternate between frozen, flake, and small pellets. But the majority of the food they get is frozen. (Mysis, brine shrimp *on occasion*, chopped prawns, Rod's Food, cyclopeeze)

I turn off the return pump but leave the power heads head so the fish have to chase down their food as they would in the ocean.

My staple is Rod's Food (frozen) Original. The tank gets that 2x/week with freeze dried mysis if I do a 3rd feeding in a week. I add a half sheet or two (halves) of nori every other day for the tangs, coral beauty angel and blennies. I also add some freeze dried zo/phytoplankton for the corals once a week.

I leave the return off for about 15 minutes giving the fish and clean up crew time to eat before it goes to the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom