Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One way to save money is to look into buying what you can use. Might be a good idea to find a local reef club where you're likely to find good deals on used equipment, LR and other necessities. A some may have mentioned, a cannister is not necessary but can be used. Many will tell you that a skimmer is more important for reef tanks. I use a cannister. I only run purigen and rowaphos which I use to lower the phosphates. You may not need this as you should test your water levels first.

Welcome to AA and good luck.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

For the most part, Marineland Emperor filters are well made and function appropriately. I do; however, prefer Hagen. Canisters come in a variety of sizes and functions, but a pain to service in comparison, imo. It might not be a bad idea to go find an lfs that runs a canister filter on one of their tanks to get a idea of functionality. They are not that expensive unless you purchase ones with built in temperature sensors and heat exchangers. Otherwise, another Emperor or Hagen brand would be fine.

Most hob filters run their media either through a plate that holds carbon with filter floss wrapped around it and an added bio-wheel (Marineland) or a sponge with a bag of carbon on top (Hagen). I prefer Hagen due to the ease of modifications such as a combined refugium (search for it) and greater water flow. Quality made canisters can provide various media in stages and tend to run more efficiently since water is forced through the media and not around it. Here's a couple links on carbon:

http://web.archive.org/web/200009180.../1/default.asp
http://web.archive.org/web/200009180.../1/default.asp

Old 08-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

maxijet powerheads are completely summersible? so the cord can be in the water? just seems so unsafe
Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, the powerhead is completely submersible. Read the directions, it explains how to put a drip loop in the cord. Don't forget, your heater's cord is in the water as well. I have the maxi jet 1200 and 400 in my tank it moves a lot of water.
55 gallon, FOWLR, 70 pds of live rock, live sand, HOB Emperor 400, protein skimmer, 2 maxi jet 1200. T5 lighting, 1 snowflake eel, 1 spotted cardinal, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 foxface one spot, 1 female percula, 1 anemone, snails, crabs,
saywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

i assume there has been no problems with them malfunctioning and releasing electricity into the water? They can be placed all the way near the bottom of the tank with no problems?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have my heater laying on the bottom of the tank in the back, hidden behind the live rock. I have never had any problems.

55 gallon, FOWLR, 70 pds of live rock, live sand, HOB Emperor 400, protein skimmer, 2 maxi jet 1200. T5 lighting, 1 snowflake eel, 1 spotted cardinal, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 foxface one spot, 1 female percula, 1 anemone, snails, crabs,
saywill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com