I'm thinking I made a mistake w/ my LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I first setup my tank, I bought 30lbs of Tipioca (maybe spelled wrong) live rock from my LFS. I was told that they had it for a few weeks and already cured it. They told me it was fine to just drop it in my tank and let the cycle happen and I'd be fine.

So I took it home, and dropped it in my empty 55 gal. aquarium that was filled with SW and live sand and began building my little aquascape. Time goes by, the ammonia levels spike for 3-4 days, then after a week ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and my Nitrates read about 15ppm. At this point I went and picked up my CUC, Damsel, and an Ocellaris clownfish. About 2 days later while doing some forum searching, I found this site and after reading some guides and other posts I think I made a mistake in prepping my rock.

When I put the rock in, I never scrubbed it or anything. I didn't really think anything of it at the time but it appears there is a fair amount of sand and other things caked on the rock and I'm thinking I should've scrubbed it before I put it in. Is it fine to just leave it as is now that it's all cycled or should I pull it all out, scrub it down, recure it, then put it back in?

I think your fine. When you do your next water change, just suck all the crap off the rocks.

Sounds good guys. I did my water change today and took some of it off but some of it is really stuck on there like packed sand or something. Maybe my emerald crab will continue peeling it off in his future search for food. Thanks for the reassurance guys. :D

Back
Top Bottom