Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Importance of tank depth?

This will be my first marine tank. I went to Lfs with a spec that included maximum size of 140*60cms, stating that i was interested in fish, soft corals and crustaceans. They have come back with a recommendation of a tank that is 140*60cms, and 90cms high (that's 36 inches). Generally, when i read around most tanks seems to be 24 inches/60cms.

Other than giving me more gallonage, are there obvious advantages to deep tank? It would be about 200 gallons, which feels...vast. What are the disadvanatges of 90cm depth?

nphsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I dislike any tank over 24" in height because it is much easier to manipulate decor or general maintenance when your entire arm or half your body isn't underwater Does that seem trivial? Well, not if you are the one having to work in it (I work with tanks of heights exceeding 30"). If you are looking in the 200g range, why not purchase a standard 180 (72x24x24)? <--my fave size

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
With a tank that deep, as well as needing a snorkel to aquascape and arrange coral near the bottom, you're also going to need some very powerful lights. I would wait for a shallower tank. JMO
BallinCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yep..you can't reach the bottom and it's harder for light to reach the bottom. i would go with a 21"- 24" tank if possible.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

a tank taller then 24" just looks weird if you ask me, i also like 24" wide x 24" tall, i might go with a 96 inch long though. easy to buy T5 lighting for it :P 48" fixtures are a standard fixture so genereally better priced and easier to find
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com