Impossible task?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark0716

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 75 gal. bowfront has been cycled and stable for about 1 month. I have 60 lbs of live rock, 1 true perc, 1 hawkfish, 1 goby, 1 striped damsel, 1 black damsel (both damsels are very well behaved, believe it or not and have been friends with the perc), 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, a red starfish, 4 emerald crabs, 4 very small hermits, and 4 turbos. Everybody gets along great.

I would like to add, over the next month or two, 2 or maybe 3 larger fish. I think it would be great to have a variety of size and color. I have read over these forums and see that everyone has different choices and ideas.

I would appreciate any advice about which fish to acquire to make the tank more colorful and interesting, but I am very concerned that the fish and verts get along well. I have no coral. Is this possible?

Wow. 8O 1 month and already over 5 fish? I would definitely wait and let your filtering catch up. What are your water parameters? If you add more fish, you're risking the health of your established fish. Patience is key here... I would be concerned with any more fish added w/o proper monitoring (I'm even concerned with so many fish in there so soon in such a short period of time)

Thanks, Rob. Actually, after the cycling was complete, I removed 4 blue damsels and returned them to the lfs. Because I used live rock and live sand, I had only a small amonia increase. At this point amonia and nitrites are 0, and the nitrates are less than 10. I am not rushing to add more, but would like to get some ideas so I can research them.

I too am worried about so many fish so qwikly. I too got real excited and added too many fish when I first got going. I too didn't use my QT tank after I got going and excited. You QTing? :soap: Fish real fast. Stressed tank. High trates. Dead fish.

See my profile for 75g inhabitants. Took 11 months to get there and a re-commitment to QTing new arrivals and going slower.

Hope this advice isn't too late for you. Not to be a doomsday profit, but you're likely to have some issues unless you slow down a bit and be careful.

It's important to us 'round here that you enjoy the hobby as much as possible and not go thru unecessary hardship.

Good luck.

Just saw your last post. I guess we were writing at the same time.

Kudos for your choice to take the 4 damsels back for now. Check out the b/g chromis later for group swimmers.

Way to go

I love my Coral Beauty. She is peaceful and has the most awesome shades of purple. Gets along fine with everyone and is not a "hider". She likes to show herself off to the crowd.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom