In need of some help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WithLuck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, everyone =]

I've been dreaming about a salt water tank for a year now, and yesterday when I came home I realized the rest of my family wasn't completely oblivious to my wishes.

As you may know, Christmas is coming up. What you may not know, is that my family is completely obsessed with Christmas. If it's a few months after Christmas, you get nothing because "christmas is coming!" So, pretty much everything you want(ed) throughout the year (even if it was forgotten by you) is given to you on christmas.

This being said, I came home yesterday from working out to find my local fish guy in our house, tape measure in hand.

See, the only tank I've expressed interest in is a 150 bowfront that's pre-drilled. Since I bought a 55(FW), I know it's larger than that.. and I'm going to assume it's a 150.

While this is great news, I think I may be in over my head. So, if this is the case I'll for sure be needing a lot of help ....especially with plumbing.

My first question is.. how many shrimp will I need? ~_~; Also, what's a good place to order rocks from? Any good ebay sellers? I checked out aquabid, and there's only one guy selling.

I guess I should go buy a ladder.. that tank is taller than I am. :-?

My first question is.. how many shrimp will I need?
You don't need any shrimp. If you are talking about using shrimp to cycle the tank, that works, but you can just cycle the tank with uncured live rock. Since you are going to need quite a bit, you should see what kind of deal your LFS can get you on rock.

My first question is.. how many shrimp will I need?

Fish work too... Its the tried and true method. You need approx. 1 fish for every 10 gallons. Most people utilize Damsels.

Utilyzing damsels is a very bad Idea. It was stuff that was used in the old day when folks didnt know any better. Here is a great article on cycling your tank. It helps you te realize the harm and hurt that livestock suffer during a cycle. It also explains how to do the cycle. It will explain I think what you were talking about shrimp as Larry was explaining.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

You don't need any shrimp. If you are talking about using shrimp to cycle the tank, that works, but you can just cycle the tank with uncured live rock. Since you are going to need quite a bit, you should see what kind of deal your LFS can get you on rock.

My LFS won't cut me any deals, I don't think. He said it'd be 500 dollars per 50 pounds, while on the ab I saw it would be about 200 dollars, with shipping.

Also, no I won't use fish, I have other tanks but they're fresh water.. they were cycled fishless. I don't think it's fair to the fish to put them under that much stress.

Thanks for the link, I guess that's 3-4 shrimp. Wouldn't it be okay to cycle with the shrimp and live rock? What harm is that?

If you get enough LR you could cycle with just that IMO. It will have plenty of die off. Try one of our sponsor`s for the LR.

Underwater Outlet - Home

Thanks, I looked but they don't have anymore fiji rocks, if I got pohnpei I'd obviously have to get less. 200 lbs would be an OK start, I think..

Is pohnpei very pretty, or do you think the fiji is prettier? Which is better?

Wow... LFS won't go below $10/lb when buying 50 lbs worth?! You'd think they'd throw you a bone or something!

Regarding cycling with a shrimp AND live rock... no, it won't hurt to throw in some shrimp. Personally, I would. I cycled my tank with cured live rock and still threw in a shrimp to make sure. After a couple weeks of no ammonia or nitrites, but increasing nitrates, it made me sure the rock really was "live" and ready to go.

Wow... LFS won't go below $10/lb when buying 50 lbs worth?! You'd think they'd throw you a bone or something!

Regarding cycling with a shrimp AND live rock... no, it won't hurt to throw in some shrimp. Personally, I would. I cycled my tank with cured live rock and still threw in a shrimp to make sure. After a couple weeks of no ammonia or nitrites, but increasing nitrates, it made me sure the rock really was "live" and ready to go.

No.. they won't. Though, I admit, their tanks are cheaper. I got my 55 for 300, with the light and stand included.

Thanks for confirming with the shrimp, I didn't think it could hurt. I think I've already decided on the fish, as well. This forum is so fast with answers haha. =] Thanks everyone. I'll have to post pics of my progress.

My suggestion, go with 75% base rock ( try marcorocks.com and 25 uncured rock). Use 1 unseasoned raw jumbo shrimp (much cheaper than a real live fish) per 30 gallons (for your ammonia source) to cycle your tank.
Save some more money and get dry aragonite sand (skip on the "live sand").
Invest (from what you saved on the live sand and cured LR) and buy a refractometer.
I'm not sure if marcorocks.com is a good deal, but he gave me a good deal on the 150LBs I bought from him.

I know this might be a long shot but I visited this LFS of mine that is close to Raleigh NC and he has roughly a 1600 gal reef tank that I wish at the time I had my camera with me! http://reefkeepersaquarium.com.

This guy was no BS. He buys straight from the divers and has the most awesome reef tank I have ever seen.

I am sure he will work with you on rock, fish, coral, lights, etc!

I went in with over $500 and he would not sell me lights because of the size of my tank. BTW I only have a 29 gal FOWLER. It's worth a shot. In the left corner of his reef tank he has a giant clam! I don't know how many LFS keep this critter but he says he has had it for over five years, very nice. Anyways Good luck with your tank!

Back
Top Bottom