In the middle of this and got problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've removed my CC and UGF. Placed the sand in and my water is completly cloudy. I ran my filters for an hour no results. They have now been off for 45 min. and not getting any better.What should I do. It is really cloudy. Should I remove a bunch of water?

It will be ok. Reefrunner said that it wont affect the fish because they are used to the water getting stired in sea storms. Just keep cleaning the filter, it should clear up over night.

It will settle and the filter will pull what ever else is in the water. But It will take a good 12 hrs. Make sure to bag the fish and float them for awhile to get them back up to temp.

let thigns run as they are. as long as you have no powerheads blowing down toward the bottom then it will settle out after a few hours you should start to see it clearing up.

I have put air and a heater in the cooler with the fish also put the light on top. Can I leave them here over night.

I have my PH's blowing at the top of the water blowing straight across is this ok, also I put another power filter on to help.

Agreed. Don't worry. Even if you can't see one inch into the water. It may take a day or two to settle and will remain very loose until it gets a good coating of bacteria. When it settles, use a turkey baster (not a power head) to gently blow off the LR.
This is very common so don't worry.

Mark

Your fish will be fine in the cooler for a couple of days if need be. As long as you have the LR in there, heater, powerhead and lights, everything should be fine. Since you are still cycling though, it wouldn't hurt to check the water parameters and do a small water change if necessary.

When I moved, it took my big tank only about 12 hours for the sand to settle, but my small one took a day and a half.....go figure!

Questions for you -

1 - What is the PH of the display tank right now? If it's normal you can put your fish back in. Do a normal acclimation as you would if you just received the fish.

2 - What type of sand did you use? Details like composition, grain size and shape.

3 - Was the sand dry when you added it?

I used southdown from Home Depot and it was dry when I added it.
My PH was about 8.2 before I started and removed 7-8 gals. of water. I haven't checked my ph since I did this but it is probably close after adding the new water.

Back
Top Bottom